• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fluconazole

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I figured i'd document my experience with it here, i just ordered some of these based off a post on reef central, that two people tried it out, one took photos of it, and it decimated the bryopsis in the tank. I'll take some photos probably every other day or so and will add nothing else to the tank, gfo and carbon will be offline, skimmer will have the cup removed. I ordered the fish version of this as anything else needs a script, its a fungus treatment medicine.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is, there's been nothing else to this point that took out bryopsis besides tech m before it changed, at least nothing that was reef safe. Other stuff was hit and miss, so far i know of 4-5 people that have tried this, every one of them has had success. It's like finding an in tank treatment for ich that works on a reef tank.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Fish Fluconazole 200mg (Fish Flucon)

As far as dosing, it comes down to about 20mg per gallon of water, i dosed 3000mg, 15 capsules, into roughly 150g of total water volume. I got that amount from a rough estimate from the dosing i got online, 150mg per 30 liters. Just open the capsules into a cup of ro water, mix up (do not add the capsule to the water, just the meds on the inside), and add to the tank all at once, just slowly so it doesn't form too much of a concentration in one spot. I turned my lights out for the first day, took the skimmer offline and same with gfo, no carbon on my system. Turned the lights back on the second day, left the actinics off, someone mentioned that uv may or may not effect the meds. it's day 4, my skimmer was turned back on this morning as there is a hell of a lot of die off and my tank went a bit foggy. Another guy that did this left the carbon in the system and his skimmer on and skimming for the duration of 12-15 days and it killed it off in this tank, so turning off the skimmer, lights, or anything else may not be necessary, but i did it just to make sure the meds had their full effect on it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have hair algae growing due to the high amount of nutrients going back into the tank, so i doubt it would work for that. cyano as well is still growing a bit in my tank. Bryopsis shares something with fungus on how it creates cholesterol and this med effectively blocks that process. It's a fungus medication.