• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fluval canister

Should i disgard my fluval canister. I currently have the media to controll phosphate and nitrate in it. The only reason i really have it running is because i dont have anywhere to connect my uv light. The mag drive pump(1200) is currently in the pump but is in line with the chiller. Is it ok to tie all three of these togethers will the mag drive have enough power to push out or will i need a bigger pump. Or should i keep the fluval and replace the media every month or so. Whats your take on it thanks.

yea what excatly are you running in there and how often do you change out the media. Every month or so on mine its a piece of cake if you dont know they sell quick disconnect volves so when you want to remove all you do is close out the valve and disconnect the lines with no more water spilling out. Pretty sure your aware of that.

yeah, i have the 304? i think and it came with the quick disconnects, i just run carbon and ceramic media, and change the carbon and give the rest a good rinse every 2 weeks

Nice u must have one of the newer fluval i also have a 304 and it didnt come with the quick disconnect. I think i need to change out my media then it been there over a month. Was going to do it yesterday but got caught up on football. GO GIANTS

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm using a 405 for carbon and try to clean it every week, 2 weeks at the longest.

Bob

i run a fluval fx5 with just carbon in it, no sponges or other media. i clean it and replace the carbon once a month when i do water changes. my chiller is also in-line with it, just out of convenience. when i got my chiller it seemed like the easiest way to hook it up. anyway, yeah they are a lot easier to clean now with the quick disconnects. much better then the old ones!

is there any particular reason why not to use the sponges and whats the reason for running carbon everyone has there own theory because some same use it and others say dont. ???

Sponges in a canister filter, or any other filter for that matter, are a mechanical filter element. They need to be kept clean. This usually means cleaning them at least weekly. With a hang on the tank filter, or with a sump, you just pull out the sponge, clean and replace it. With a canister you need to tear the whole @#$%^&* thing apart. This is a lot of work, so it tends to be skipped a lot. The dirty sponge then become a big "nitrate factory" and oxygen consumer.