• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

For those who enjoy fly fishing, or fishing for that matter

This weekend, I went out fly fishing for the first time this season. Wow was it nice out. The trout were just starting to rise and are hitting elk caddis, bead head nymphs, and black wooly buggers.

Anyone else out there into fly fishing?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
IrradiatedReef said:
Anyone else out there into fly fishing?

I'm not but I've always wanted to give it a shot. It looks it can be very relaxing once you get into that rhythmic zone.

I used to love fishing for the local stocked trout (phila area) but the crowds are way to annoying these days..
So, I go on a couple trips a year to places either no one is around or it's early/later in the season.
The one trip is to a private lake for brookies, browns and rainbows.. with the house right on the lake.
The other is my favorite trip to NY for Steelhead... nothing like an angry 13lb steelhead caught on a babine special that you tied yourself... I just got goosebumps.

i used to enjoy fishing very much. also, i used to live very close to northvale... in river vale.
anyway, where did you go flyfishing. i'm guessing upstate NY....

where is your secret spot.

I bought a 7 weight Fly rod from Cabellas to fish for Steelies in Pulaski NY but i never used it that trip.
I meant to use it for largemouth, but I just never get around to using it.

I need some good recommendations for bass and trout. Do you tie your own?

erid said:
I bought a 7 weight Fly rod from Cabellas to fish for Steelies in Pulaski NY but i never used it that trip.
I meant to use it for largemouth, but I just never get around to using it.

I need some good recommendations for bass and trout. Do you tie your own?

I tie various things for trout...
I like tying for the steelhead the most, though.. all salmon egg patterns.

Never got into the Largemouth thing. A fishing Buddy does a Canada bass trip that I've been meaning to go on. Says it's the best Bass fishing around.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, it's not fly fishing...but I was in a Trout Tournament up in Jefferson (Rockaway River) yesterday...caught three decent sized Brown's. Not bad for my first trip out!

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Went out fishing to the Sandy Hook beach yesterday. I thought it would rain but it turned out to be a very nice day. Got some good bites and landed some decent sized blues and a couple of skates. Blues were surprisingly large for this time of the year (about 28-32 inches). Was hoping for some stripers but no luck with them.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Brian said:
Well, it's not fly fishing...but I was in a Trout Tournament up in Jefferson (Rockaway River) yesterday...caught three decent sized Brown's. Not bad for my first trip out!
Brian
Where in Jefferson?
I'm about 5 minutes from there.
Could have sent you to some LFS's

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Right off of 15 by the New Orleans Steakhouse. My brother lives in Sparta, that's how I found out about it.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Brian said:
Right off of 15 by the New Orleans Steakhouse. My brother lives in Sparta, that's how I found out about it.
Have you gone to just fish in andover since your brother is in sparta?
It's rite on Newton/Sparta rd. not a ton of tanks but quality livestock.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No, but I am going up there again this weekend...if we have the time maybe I can swing by and check it out.

Sorry for the delay guys.

I'm usually fishing lakes and rivers in Hunterdon county, like south Branch (all areas) for trout and smallmouth, Delaware lake in Delaware NJ (lunker bass program), and the Delaware river above easton for smallomuth. My Sister lives on Sylvan lake in Burlington, so when I'm down there I take the kids out and have a good time.

I also like to do early morning surf fishing. Haven't been in a couple of years though.

Hey, if anyone wants to meet up just shoot me a PM! I can stay out all day.

*Theres a few pictures in the let's introduce ourselves section from a wile back. Those bass are from Delaware lake.

ER
Erik

Yes, I tie my own. Usually I go out to east branch, but there is a really good spot up in tuxedo. As far as what trout like, it depends on the time of year and what fly is hatching. I usually do very well with a dry/wet combo. I prefer elk hair caddis or royal wolff with a 2-3' extention and some sort of beadhead nymph on the tip. This way, I have 2 sources of attraction plus my indicator <dry fly> is a hook too.

Royal wolff is a great dry fly. has a nice little white "poof" on top and is easy to see without using flourescent colors

For small flies I love making pheasant tail nymphs....
As far as fishing I usually stick with larger flies like wooly buggers and minnow imitations.
I fish stocked Brookies at a private lake out in PA.. one day cleaning a few fish for the grill, a salamander came out of a stomach. NOW THATS EATIN!! although the smaller ones in the stream will hit the tiniest of dry flies. which is also fun!