• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Forget the crab, I've got a huge worm.

My post yesterday was about a crab that I THOUGHT was killing my fish. Nope.

Last night about an hour after lights out, I shone a flashlight into the tank and watched a HUGE (to me) worm slither out of one of my rocks. (It was the diameter of a pencil and about 5-6 inches long).

I did catch a fireworm about 3 weeks ago when re-arranging my rocks. I saw its pink fleshy self between holes inside my rock and did what any ******* that's new to the hobby would do ... I poked it .. Hard .. With my thumb and while there was no immediate pain, for 4 or so days later that thumb THROBBED and looked as though it had been slashed by 100 pieces of paper.

I ended up just throwing the rock out. I had no idea that there was even a worm IN my tank.
Of course the rock I saw this new worm slither out of is at the VERY BOTTOM of my rock work.

STUPID QUESTION: do these worms usually make a home in one rock? Or will I need to dip all 40 or so pounds of my rocks in club soda?

It will where ever it wants. Now if it's a bristle worm like you stated in your other thread just leave it alone. It won't kill anything. And chances are you have more.

By the way if you decide to catch it and don't want it bring it to me. I work in Elizabeth and would be more them welcome to house it in my fuge. That goes for anymore crabs as well

it's yours .. IF I catch it (and any others) alive lol.

I'm planning to just take all my rock out and put it in a tub and slowly go through them one by one - wearing gloves. It was a pinkish/orangish color.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Don't tear apart your whole tank to catch a bristle worm. Simply cut the foot off of a pair of panty hose take a piece of table shrimp and put it inside. Tie up the loose end of the pantyhose and put it in your tank after the lights go out. The bristle worms will go after the shrimp and their bristles get stuck in the pantyhose. Use tongs or something to remove the pantyhose and bristle worms in the morning.

well, after taking apart my tank and searching each and every nook and cranny ... I found NOTHING. I am going to try the pantyhose trick tonight. My puffer may go after the shrimp lol so I'll have to put the stocking IN something his big *** head can't fit through ;)