• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Foxface and blue throat trigger

I want to add a couple more fish to my 225. I was thinking a foxface and a blue throat trigger. I've read that foxfaces are pretty much reef safe but then you hear that they might eat zoa's. Anyone have one in their reef tank. For the people that have blue throat triggers how do you like them any problems with then eating your snails.

I want to add a couple more fish to my 225. I was thinking a foxface and a blue throat trigger. I've read that foxfaces are pretty much reef safe but then you hear that they might eat zoa's. Anyone have one in their reef tank. For the people that have blue throat triggers how do you like them any problems with then eating your snails.

had a magnificent for a while and he didn’t bother any of my corals. If you have any shrimp be careful with a trigger. My cousins niger demolished his coral banded. He didn’t really care about the snails but tormented the coral banded. I’m sure everyone has different experiences and horror stories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bicolor foxface in my home tank and have never had a problem with my pretty good variety of corals. No experience but from what I hear, blue jaw triggers are one of the best for reef tanks and like said above usually are okay with snails but shrimp, especially decorative ones, not so much.

Bi color foxface? Do you have a picture of him? I’ve only ever heard of a Fiji,normal, 2 spot and magnificent

Bi color foxface? Do you have a picture of him? I’ve only ever heard of a Fiji,normal, 2 spot and magnificent

It’s the same thing as Fiji, just different name. Like blue tang, hippo tang, regal tang, pacific blue.

falconut

NJRC Member
My female BT trigger doesn't bother any hermits or snails. She's still only about 4", but I've had her a while & she's very docile. Very nice trigger.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Magnificent Foxface is not only one of my favorites it is also a utility fish. I had one for 6 years and he never touched corals.
As far as triggers go - no trigger is reef safe, maybe coral safe but not invert safe..

My Orange Spotted rabbitfish is the best sand sifter I have, not kidding, but otherwise is a great reef inhabitant. Blue throat trigger will be fine with coral and will ignore snails and hermits, that is until they are flipped over then they become lunch. When my Niger Trigger got big enough he used to flip snail shells on his own and eat them,.

My blue throat doesn’t bother my clean up crew at all he is cool.
b362eead88efe7347c26bcbda5d12d8a.jpg

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Usually you need to watch out for CUC you add once the trigger is established. I have seen many cleaner shrimps become expensive dinner as soon as they were added - lol.

I had a male blue throat, big guy ("Chompy"). Had a great personality, could hand feed him. But he did occasionally take bites out of my clams, and he'd move things around. Big things. Pull glued frags off rocks and drop them in cracks I couldn't reach. He was a giant pain. He was 9" or so. I sort of miss him, but my day to day reefing is easier without him.

I have a foxface, model citizen. Second one I've had, both docile and never nip anything.

I have both in my tank for almost 10 months and have never had problems with either. I dont have a huge cuc but my blue throat is always fat and happy looking at himself in the glass and my foxface is always grazing but has never hurt my zoas. Two of my favorite fish

Idk about foxface but i think aquarium center has blue throat. I like male much more. Call first to check. They usually have a pair of male and female

I've always wanted a trigger but Ive read entirely too many horror stories about them

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk