• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fozen RODI Shattered

Hi All,

My RODI froze last night for the first time in 3 years. I have it in my garage and its always been fine. Well this morning I woke up to find all three clear housings exploded. The water supply was off so no flood. But I do need to replace all three housings and cant seem to find just the housings on line. I did see each full filter component sold at $24.00 but at $75 it may pay to get a new system. I will need to replace the membrane this summer anyway. Has anyone ever seen the clear component sold separately? Thanks. Joe

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Joe, just be aware that not all canister threadings are the same. Just make sure whatever new canisters you buy that they will fit your unit.

I'd also replace your membrane NOW as well. Freeze fracturing most likely tore that up as well.

If need be, I have a second unit you could borrow....if you promise to use it indoors, in warmer temperatures. :grin:

EDIT TO ADD:

I did find canister units for $11.....HERE.

Last edited:
This happened to me last year. And I found the replacements at BRS as Jim mentioned above. All I did was get new housings and took a chance that all the fittings were OK. In my case they were, but do know that they may have been compromised as well. I also replaced all the cartridges as well just in case, but they were due soon anyway. Any part of that system that had water in it may have been compromised. I also lost my booster pump which I found was cracked after I replaced everything else.

This happened to me last year. And I found the replacements at BRS as Jim mentioned above. All I did was get new housings and took a chance that all the fittings were OK. In my case they were, but do know that they may have been compromised as well. I also replaced all the cartridges as well just in case, but they were due soon anyway. Any part of that system that had water in it may have been compromised. I also lost my booster pump which I found was cracked after I replaced everything else.
I am going to replace the whole unit. Cost of replacement parts will be about the same and like you say I'm not sure what other parts may have been compromised. Lesson learned. DRAIN THE FILTER WHEN NOT IN USE.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Joe as far as the linked RO/DI, here's what I'd want to know. What is the rejection rate of that membrane. I prefer membranes that have a 98% or better rejection rate. Also, I'm not familiar with those types of DI canisters. Are they refillable or do you need to purchase all new canisters with new DI when they are spent?

Also, draining an RO/DI setup is NOT the solution for keeping it in sub freezing temperatures. Small amounts of water left in the membrane will freeze and rupture the membrane. Unit needs to be kept in above-freezing location.

Joe as far as the linked RO/DI, here's what I'd want to know. What is the rejection rate of that membrane. I prefer membranes that have a 98% or better rejection rate. Also, I'm not familiar with those types of DI canisters. Are they refillable or do you need to purchase all new canisters with new DI when they are spent?

Also, draining an RO/DI setup is NOT the solution for keeping it in sub freezing temperatures. Small amounts of water left in the membrane will freeze and rupture the membrane. Unit needs to be kept in above-freezing location.
As you can tell, very little info on that site. Can you recommend one for me? Much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm looking at the BRS 150 universal. Does anyone have any feedback on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Agree with Saltkreep88......Buckeye, BRS, Spectrapure, and I throw in there Air, Water and Ice.....can't go wrong with any of them. Just find the one that meets your needs.

Thanks everyone. I was able to find replacements that fit my filter and will replace the membrane as it was almost due anyway. All said and done will cost about 80 bucks. Now I have to find a spot in the house to keep it.

Thanks everyone. I was able to find replacements that fit my filter and will replace the membrane as it was almost due anyway. All said and done will cost about 80 bucks. Now I have to find a spot in the house to keep it.

Just one thing, how did you know your membrane was "due", the only way to know if the membrane needs to be replaced is to test the rejection rate %. My membrane is 4 years old, and I don't plan on replacing it until it fails. There is no time frame for these membranes.

Just one thing, how did you know your membrane was "due", the only way to know if the membrane needs to be replaced is to test the rejection rate %. My membrane is 4 years old, and I don't plan on replacing it until it fails. There is no time frame for these membranes.
I was only going by age of the membrane. How would I check the rejection rate %. Thinking since it was frozen and will sit dry for a while it would be best to replace it.

since it was frozen I would replace, but in the future you can test rejection. Say your TDS in is 100 and your tds after the ro membrane (NOT AFTER DI) is 2, your rejection rate is 98%. Every membrane has a rejection rating and when they are worse than rated they need to be replaced or you will chew through DI.