• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Farmers New Tech

So.. while at the frag farmer I got a chance to take a look at some new tech. The basic idea here is that this is a reactor that will grow algae in a Up-Lift waterflow system. The cuts in the dividers cause the reactors to "turn" the algae clockwise to ensure its lit. They claim it works much better than refugiums and seemed to have an answer for all my questions. The LED tube is removable WITHOUT draining the reactor. It also has a heat sink on top of it to dissipate the heat.

New tech by Asonitez, on Flickr

Is this the one that was making rounds on the Manhattan reef forums? Looks like it. What are the price points on these. If they are the same as the ones I saw they were pretty high.

Yes the price points were high the most expensive being 550+ for the largest one. Lowest like 199. They did say they would do a group buy and give us wholesale pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What is the process to "harvest" the algae that has grown?

For $500, I think it comes with a handle that looks like this:a

classic_tf_chrome_LRG%5B1%5D.jpg

:p :eek: :hopelessness:

Harvesting is by removig hte top flange... pulling it UP out of the water and taking a few handfuls off the macro off. Then Sliding it back down into the system. The demo they had looked nice with red macro in 1 section and green in another section.

I asked questions like...

Q: Won't algae build up on the tube cut down the light faster in this small environment.

A: They said that the algae will still be lit and the slime on the walls of the reactor help with the nutrient export.

My View: I would think that after a week or 2 of this being lit the entire unit will grow algae inside the tube forcing you to clean the tube.. or at the very least dump the reactor... clean the tube and re-assemble.

Q: What about the fact that studies show that much larger than we think refugiums are needed to impact our high nutrient systems and anything else s just for show, bio-diversity, and food for the tank?
A: they claim their reactor is many more times successful than refugiums because most chaeto in refugiums are only lit on the TOP.. Chaeto INSIDE of the ball is unlit and therefore not performing the tasks needed to reduce nutrients.

Those were my 2 main concerns... but i'm leery because of maintenance....

I think its a Novel Idea. especially unlike refigums now.... you CAN allow the output to be direct into your return section to pump those little critters into the tank.

I followed them closely on the manhattan reefs forum and did not like their lighting system. They never answered questions I had regarding the type of leds (brand or color) they used. I don't see them lasting long enclosed like that regardless of the heatsink or if they are cheap tape leds, or high quality cree/philips.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I followed them closely on the manhattan reefs forum and did not like their lighting system. They never answered questions I had regarding the type of leds (brand or color) they used. I don't see them lasting long enclosed like that regardless of the heatsink or if they are cheap tape leds, or high quality cree/philips.

yeah, i had the same thought when i first saw their initial product. it looks liked Tape LEDs wrapped around a metal rod. wasn't pleased with the build quality.

the ones on the photo looks like they beefed up the reactor. still unsure about the LEDs though.

They never mentioned the BRAND of the LED's that they are using. The LED's were 6500K and Red. Equidistant up the entire length of the rod. I'm not defending them or anything but

I've used TAPE led's before and they barely generated any real heat. These heat sinks were hot to the touch.

Ive been running one for many months now and have been very impressed on a 90g system. I bought the nano version this weekend.

I wonder how much of a difference it would be to use a standard reactor and just light the outside, it would be just about the same effect just a little more light required, but if using LED the wattage would be no more than standard incandescent, right?

Cmantis post some pics.. like i said they would do group buy wholesale pricing if we ordered from the club. Pending board approval of course. need some more information though.