• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I made a DYI frag rack with egg crate but the fish keep knocking them off. I found this at the Dollar Store. Its made of metal but plastic coated. Is it safe to use?

Attachments

• 20220507_191258_(1).jpg
    20220507_191258_(1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Bot587

NJRC Member
I would personally not use it. People have metal magnets crash systems from plastic coated magnets. As that item is from the dollar store, I would say that the quality control for the plastic coating is probably not there.

With that said, just remember how corrosive salt water is. I would not expect cheap plastic to not allow any metal to leech through.

If you can find something made completely of plastic that would be better.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would personally not use it. People have metal magnets crash systems from plastic coated magnets. As that item is from the dollar store, I would say that the quality control for the plastic coating is probably not there.

With that said, just remember how corrosive salt water is. I would not expect cheap plastic to not allow any metal to leech through.

Plastic can leach too. Guess I will have to try and glue more egg crate like the item I showed.

Bot587

NJRC Member
Plastic leachables should be inert for the most part in saltwater (there is always an exception). Metal leaching is not the same case. Once again this is just my two cents.

I would use pvc and egg crate if your trying to make up something for low cost

+1 on this!!
You have put some good work in your system don’t risk it with that…

Status
Not open for further replies.