• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

frag tank

I'm thinking about making a frag tank out of a 150g Rubbermaid stock tank. Have any of you guys ever used one for this purpose? Any negatives other than no side views?

Thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don't do it. I don't have the explanation in me tonight, but it isn't efficient, effective nor easy to view the stock. I'd suggest shallow troughs or shallow acrylic tank. JMHO.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think the 200 is a very good alternative either. Too deep. The key is shallow. No more than 14". JMHO, of course.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Greg, have you looked at the 50 gallon stock tanks?

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(n0srxv55pfskawqis5py2pnj)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=7015563

Phyl said:
I don't think the 200 is a very good alternative either. Too deep. The key is shallow. No more than 14". JMHO, of course.

I was thinking I would load the bottom half with rock and sand and have two levels of egg crate above.

Phyl said:

That's the point, it would be a great show tank which Greg needs/wants ;)

Greg go for the 200 you'll be happy you did ;D

REEFLECTIONS said:
i think a 40g breeder makes a perfect frag tank...

40 breeder is a good choice but small and fills up quick if you have sps that grows quickly

I have a 50 gallon Rubbermaid poly stock tank I used for frags. I painted the inside of it white, with plastic spray paint a couple of years ago. It worked well bare bottomed for me, white really reflects light. You are welcome to have it, it is just sitting in the yard.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's a great idea, I never thought of painting the inside of it white.

Tom, the dimensions aren't the best for growing things out. If you're going to have that amount of volume it should be surface area more so than depth.

This is what I'm using for now along with a 10g sump with live rock and a skimmer and a 20g tank for zoas. There all tied together like some Rube Goldberg nightmare and I end up with a flood in my basement every few weeks. I made this tank out of 3/4" plywood and Plexiglas. Unfortunately I went cheap on the plexy and got the thin stuff so about a week after I put the heater in and loaded it up the Plexiglas started to buckle inward. The tank is 48" x 24" x 10" and it's jam-packed right now so I need to go "large". Thanks for all your suggestions. Did I mention my "real" tank is a 16g? :-[

IMGP3478.jpg

Greg, have you considered building another - but BIGGER? Just use thicker plexiglass. I know my jaw dropped when I saw your frag tank. Not only because it was jam packed, and I didn't even know where to look first because everything's just so colorful and gorgeous, but also because you did one hell of a job on that thing. Or you could look into having one custom built, but I'm afraid that will be pricey. I personally like Renee's idea with the painted stocktank.

Oh...and I would love to come and visit again soon. :-[

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only thing with the stock tanks is that they are deep so there isn't the surface area for the volume you get. I like that tank, Greg. You did a great job on it. The 50g stock tank is a great size since it is short (the 100 is the same surface area but taller).

I don't like the curves (hard to make use of all of the surface area that way) and the sloping sides (especially where the bulkheads go). You really have to work around those.

Did you decide against the blue troughs?