• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

frag tanks

who has a frag tank set up ? is it part of your main system or on its own ? lets see your frag tank set up ;Di am asking b/c i want to set one up but not sure if i want it tied to my main system this way i can use it as a qt as well i would rather lose some frags than my colonies b/c of some bugs

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are definitely benefits to both ways. With them combined in one system you have the benefit of one water change, one Ca reactor, one Kalk reactor, one skimmer. The downside, as you said is that you would need additional QT space. Separating them gives you the benefit of a second water system, should something go wrong with your display and you need to quickly move corals to save them.

Ours are part of the main system.

i would think you would still want a separate QT. I won't want to lose a whole group of frags to something in QT. Which would mean if your frag tank is separate you have three systems. I vote for frag tank connected to the main system. Easy to move frags (intentional and unintentional) back and forth. Besides your best water is in your main system. Why not give your frags the best.

id agree with bob and you can always put ball valves on the plumbing that connects it to your display that way the tank can be shut off (separated from display tank)whenever you please.