• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fragging LPS

I have a couple relatively large LPS colonies. The first is a red micromussa and the second is an acan that I picked up a while ago.

Has anyone had experience fragging these corals and could give me some pointers ie tools that they used?

Thanks a lot.

Chris

Chris

A dremel with a diamond cutting blade. Any cutting blade with the dremel will work but Ihave found there is less tissue damage with the diamond blade, and fewer pieces of rock flying in the air.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it is relatively shallow then a dremel works well. Anything thicker and a wetsaw (using saltwater instead of tap) would be my preferred method.

Thanks for the help.

The depth of the rock was what I am concerned about. I have a dremel and I don't think the blade that I have will go through the rock which the micro was on even though it is a diamond blade.

Phyl have you fragged using a wet saw before? Do you have one or know someone who does?

Chris

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've done it before. It worked great. We'll be doing some fragging at the June meeting (June 30), and I'm sure the wet saw will be there. We're in Jackson if you wanted to bring it by earlier.

Is the LPS just glued to a rock or is it part of the rock? If it is glued down you could cut through it with the dremel and then chisel it from underneath to get it off of the rock.

The corals are both part of the rock, but I had never thought about cutting a frag off the plug when it is time to refrag. I will remember that when I have to frag some of my other stuff.

I am going to aim for the June 30th meeting only because I will be moving things back home after college and I am not quite sure how smooth that will go. Also I will start my first real job on June 11th. If everything goes smooth I may try to get it done before then but I doubt it.

Thanks a lot for the help, I will be in touch.

Chris