• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"frags"

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I have a few moderated stupid questions for you guys, if you have a second to answer. :D

Ok, I have a newly established tank. My ammonia dropped to 0, my nitrites is about the same, and the nitrates seems to be relatively low as well, but above 0.

Anyway, I'd like to get into some non-fish life, and I see you guys trade around fragments of corals all the time. I'm wondering if there's a time that my tank needs to be established before I should get into such things, or if good water is just good water, and I'm ready to roll already.

Also, I currently have poor lighting. Right now, I have a 35w flourescent in the tank, and that's it. Obviously not enough.

My tank is a 55 gallon, and I'm wondering what a good (not too over the top), not too expensive lightning system would be for my tank? Would I be best served by going DIY?

Thanks! I appreciate the help, and I love the fact that this is a local site. My favorite aqua-related site so far! :)

C

concept3

this is a decent 250W halide retrokit which is what I originally got when I started out with my SPS reef ($179)
http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2...Code=OE&Product_Code=I2HRK&Category_Code=ICRM

and this is a decent dual 110W VHO retro kit that I also used in conjunction with the halide retro I bought ($106)
http://www.hellolights.com/22elarovhoba.html

http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...3f5c4a7160c&l=&s=IEt8Hzfhe.1hzo4_5kiYjl_zWQY-

I ended up using them together, but no one says you can't start one and then get the other in the future. I use the VHO's for actinics only at 8-10 hrs and halides for 7-8 hrs.

Hey subliminal. I went with T5s on my 55, and I am keeping zoas, mushrooms, Green Star Polyps and I just added a small clam and LTA anemone. All are doing fantastic. I only have 4x54 watt HO, but wish I had gone a little bigger.

I'm considering Metal Halide on my new system (are we ever really satisfied with our current systems? hehe), but think the T5s are more than sufficient to start with. I would probably go 6 or 8 bulbs if you can fit it over the tank, I know they are only about 13" depth tanks, so the top surface area is a bit tight. The only thing that scared me on MH on such a small tank was the heat issue.

If you have a canopy, you could certainly look into a T5 retro kit with individual reflectors and go with 4 to 6 bulbs, it's something you can add to and grow into later. Even add the MH after the fact.

One tip I got from Ed over at ILC was that the new Icecap 400 watt electronic ballasts (Metal Halide) will run 250 watt bulbs and they do not overdrive the bulbs.

If you go T5 now (retro in a canopy) you can always use them for actinic supplementation later if you decide to add MH.

Just my 2cents, fwiw.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Thanks for the 411, guys!

I'm still up in the air on everything. One side of me wants to do it right, and the other side of me is my cheap-ass. ;)

I guess, for the moment, i should just be happy that my tank cycled quickly and that my lil' fishies are doing great.

Unless you want to upgrade to MH and sell me that t5 setup. ;)

Hehe. If I go MH on the new tank, I plan on tearing apart the T5 and using the components for actinic supplementation. But if I decide to sell it, I'll look you up.

In the meantime, checkout http://www.hellolights.com

They have some fairly priced T5 retro kits and full hood Tek Light T5s. I think the 6 bulb (which should be more than sufficient for your 55, as I'm only running 4 without individual reflectors) is only about $310. The retro kit is about $110 per 2 bulb setup.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I was actually looking at that hood. There's a place in Tom's River that sells on ebay that has it for $219.

Thanks again for the replies!

Even better. I like mine, I'd say go for it if it is within your budget. I don't think you can go wrong with that as a starter.