• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fresh and Salt!?

Here's a wacky idea, has anyone ever done a saltwater/freshwater partition all in one tank thingy? My girlfriend likes fresh, and I like salt. I have 1 red sea max 130 with a mostly softy setup and 1 red sea max 130 with a fresh water setup. Now she's complaining that they are taking up too much space... blah blah, you all know the story. She is saying she only wants 1 and I said okay we will get rid of your goldfish tank and of course she doesn't like that idea and I sure as hell am not getting rid of my saltwater tank. I was thinking of a nice space saving idea where maybe I can find a 60g or so tank and adding a partition maybe even get a little creative with clear PVC tubing.

Anyone know of anybody who has ever done something like this?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My first recommendation is to get another girlfriend! :)

If that doesn’t fly, I partitioned a 75 g freshwater tank and covered the partition with a piece of lattice that was held on with sticky-tack.

TankJan182009PB.jpg

Now granted, the partition was a mesh material in a frame, but there is no reason why the same thing couldn’t be done with a piece of glass that is siliconed into place. Better yet, and I’ve seen this with freshwater setups, is to get two of the same kind of tank and build a stand that holds both side-by-side. Cover up the seam of the two tanks with a piece of lattice. Salt on one side, fresh on the other….but you have the extra security in knowing they are two separate tanks. Put a continuous canopy on the top of both tanks will add to the illusion of one tank.

falconut

NJRC Member
If it were me, I'd do the second. I don't know how comfortable I'd be with just a partition between fresh and salt.

hmmm good point... I wonder how 2 red sea maxes would look even though they have rounded glass, technically I could make my own stand out of metal.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
1st off, I agree with Paul. Trade her in for a reef tank lover!

Seriously though, any chance you could make a stand that would allow you to stack one on top of the other? You could put the fresh one below since it wouldn't require any special needs for lighting. This would work out even easier if you have a basement since that would eliminate a need for a sump below the saltwater tank and give you more room closer to the floor for the tanks... but it could still work with a sump below both tanks if you get creative enough.

That would certainly save some room to put in a new predator tank or something. :eek: (I'm sure she'd love that!)

This is a gd idea.and I dont recall anyone ever doing this but it could be something to be proud of in the end.I would def do the glass partition and maybe even do a colored partition so you dont have bickering at the glass from one group of fish to the other.Theres alot of possibilities that you could incorporate in each tank to try to make them "blend" together.Def keep us posted with pics as ya go,Id love to see this idea come to reality,best of luck