• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frogspawn closed up. Any ideas?

I have had this Frogspawn close up for prob close to 6 months now. I cant seem to figure out why. I figured it would eventually die. However its hanging on. Ive tried moving it all over the tank. This seems to be the only coral Im having issues with. Has anyone ever had this problem with frogspawn? image.jpeg image.jpeg

That's pretty strange. I would check the skeleton for things that may be irritating it like aptasia or hydroids.
Well I have no Aptasia at all in this tank. I've never seen any. Im pretty anal about what coral I buy from the LFS. If it has Aptasia or any type of crazy algae I pass. I have looked this skeleton over many times. I've never seen anything crawling on it. Not saying theres not I just can't see anything. Maybe I will get a magnifying glass and try that.

What about dipping em?
I have not dipped it. What dip should I do? Freshwater?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
My choice would be something store brought but some folks use Baer for dips...I use coral rx

Is it on a frag plug? Ud want to remove that if you decide to dip so you don't chance putting anything into your DT

U may be able to see if there's "bugs" or something in/on the plug that may be irritating it too

My choice would be something store brought but some folks use Baer for dips...I use coral rx

Is it on a frag plug? Ud want to remove that if you decide to dip so you don't chance putting anything into your DT

U may be able to see if there's "bugs" or something in/on the plug that may be irritating it too
Guess I will head out tomorrow and buy some baer.

I'm also thinking about fragging the heads to see if it will react any different

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I dip all my corals (even after making sure they look good at the LFS) with either coral rx or Revive. Maybe after a coral dip and then a clean water dip it might do better.

Now I had a frogspawn that was doing well and then just one day went down hill and went down hill fast; started to look like it was getting brown jelly. I think it was stung by my RBT.

As much as I hate to say this I think I may have figured it out. I just recently purchased a Apex controller used. The probes did not come with any calibration fluid. So I ordered some. This is where it gets interesting. The conductivity probe read the same as my refractometer that I took to a LFS about 2 years ago and let them calibrate. I ran the controller like this for about 2 weeks until today when I got the calibration packets in the mail. I must of recalibrated the conductivity probe about 5 times because it just would not read my water correctly. I read the directions and watched all kinds of youtube videos on this. Every single time I pulled the freshly calibrated probe out of the solution that was reading 35 it would drop to 24. Finally I thought maybe my refractometer is wrong. I put some solution on it and dialed it in. Sure enough when I check my water with it now its low. 1.018! I have no idea how long my tank has been running salinity this low. I assume that over time it just slowly dialed back. I have lost some inverts over the years but nothing soon after being introduced. In fact for the longest time I thought my carpet ate my shrimps one at a time. I still have crabs and snails that have been in there for close to two years. My ATO is turned off as I let it slowly come back up.

Well the little Frogspawn is still hanging in there. It took 15 cups of salt to get my 90 gallon tank back up to .026! Everything seems to be ok except the Frogspawn. I will leave it in there awhile longer and see it pulls through.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Refractometers should be calibrated or checked before each use, they can wonder. the solution is cheap, like 6 bucks, and will last you years.

Refractometers should be calibrated or checked before each use, they can wonder. the solution is cheap, like 6 bucks, and will last you years.
I realize that now. I actually bought a Milwaukee digital one just to be sure everything is calibrated correctly. So much easier to use.