• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frogspawn on the offensive?

I noticed today that my froggy released a tip, it lands right into my Kenya tree, and almost immediately it closes up. I quickly picked it up (tree) and dislodged the now shriveled "tip/ball" what have you.

Is this how they attack? I always thought that they extend some sweepers. This is the first time I've seen anything like this.

how they spread.. the polyp that was ejected can grow into a full colony if the right conditions are present

ahh. Well there goes that right in the middle of the Kenya. loll.

Oh well, try try again Froggy.
Thanks for the response.

I've posted this before but it's always cool to see.

The splitting off is self propogation, OR a piece broken off following this kind of behavior. This is aggressive frog spawn behavior!!!

8)

If you focus at about 2:00 on the head of frog spawn, at about 18 seconds in to the vid, you can see it latch onto a near by stag. It nearly killed this stag on me before I could make room for it elsewhere. And in only a matter of days, it laid waste to Every piece of neighboring SPS coral it could touch.

The colony had peacefully grown in all directions, including down to the sand. But once there was no where else to go it began this attacking behavior.

BTW, it battled with a nearby Pavona and did bleach some edges, but it obviously was not into attacking it and focused its attacks on the stag directly above it. Perhaps the Pavona packs enough punch to deter its attacks.

Mindless inverts? You decide! ;)