• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fuge light schedule

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok guys,
This is my first time running a fuge. The other day I picked up some micro algae. I am wondering if I have my light on long enough. Currently my fuge light runs for 5 hours. Should it run longer? I know I have read some people run theirs 24/7 and I seen others who run it different than their DT light (so when their DT light is off their fuge is on).

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm on smaller tanks mow, but used to do same as Sobo.
When tank lights go off, fuge lights come on, and vica versa.

Lighting actually has a decent effect on water pH.
A totally dark tank (fuge and main) causes a drop in pH overnight which has to be rebuilt in morning when lights come on.
But allowing the fuge light to work while the main light is off minimizes this effect.

As per macroalgae, it can handle 24 hours of light, but, it does like resting.
I ran my mains from 7am to 6pm with a 4 hour ramp down then had my fuge go on from 10pm till 7am.
Macroalgae grew like weeds, my fuge inhabitants (snails and those that were banished) did great, and and pH was stable.
Doing same now with a hob fuge on a 25g. Mains in day, hob fuge at night, pH is stable and my cheato is growing out of the box.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I'm on smaller tanks mow, but used to do same as Sobo.
When tank lights go off, fuge lights come on, and vica versa.

Lighting actually has a decent effect on water pH.
A totally dark tank (fuge and main) causes a drop in pH overnight which has to be rebuilt in morning when lights come on.
But allowing the fuge light to work while the main light is off minimizes this effect.

As per macroalgae, it can handle 24 hours of light, but, it does like resting.
I ran my mains from 7am to 6pm with a 4 hour ramp down then had my fuge go on from 10pm till 7am.
Macroalgae grew like weeds, my fuge inhabitants (snails and those that were banished) did great, and and pH was stable.
Doing same now with a hob fuge on a 25g. Mains in day, hob fuge at night, pH is stable and my cheato is growing out of the box.

I saw somewhere that light doesn't have an effect on pH but there other factors at play but I don't know for fact.

I am going to try the alt schedule and see what happens

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Theres a few articles, but this is the first I found, antidotal, but probably representative...
The effect of lights on PH Levels - The Reef Tank
Can Lighting Affect the PH in My Aquarium? (consider the macroalgae as the plant/coral)
And a research paper, its based on perfumes but shows how light can dramatically effect pH - Influence of pH and light on the stability of some antioxidants. - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of light on pH is indirect but present. A 12 hour cycle of decrease/increase isn't great for coral, especially SPS, though a fuge full of macro and such on an alternating light schedule keeps up the chemistry to an extent it seems.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Mark_C again there might be other factors than just the light. Light itself has no affect on pH but light has affect on algae, plants, etc.. which in turns effect pH. Now if you have no plants or algae in your fuge/sump having a light on there isn't going to effect the pH. Also if you have a light to effect tank temp then that can effect pH I believe. Maybe when I have time and money I will run an experiment to see

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
@Mark_C again there might be other factors than just the light. Light itself has no affect on pH but light has affect on algae, plants, etc.. which in turns effect pH.
Agreed 100%.
An empty fuge is useless. A fuge with some rock, a couple of inverts, and some macro, set at an alternating schedule, should, according to sources (as above) help maintain a steady pH which is beneficial to the aquarium.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's how light impacts pH.....light causes photosysthesis to occur and in the process the algae consumes carbon dioxide (to be used to make sugars and carbohydrates). The reduction in carbon dioxide from the water (carbonic acid), causes for a rise in pH. In the process, the plants product oxygen. In darkness, just the opposite occurs....plants consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. By running your refugium lighting opposite DT lighting, you always have photosysthesis occurring, thereby stabilizing pH.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Here's how light impacts pH.....light causes photosysthesis to occur and in the process the algae consumes carbon dioxide (to be used to make sugars and carbohydrates). The reduction in carbon dioxide from the water (carbonic acid), causes for a rise in pH. In the process, the plants product oxygen. In darkness, just the opposite occurs....plants consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. By running your refugium lighting opposite DT lighting, you always have photosysthesis occurring, thereby stabilizing pH.

So again light itself doesn't have an effect on pH directly. For example (as @Mark_C said) an HOB fuge or sump with no photosysthesis item in it will not balance your pH if you run a light over it. That is the point I'm trying to make. I seen people who claim just running a light over their sump helps their pH. You need other items, photosysthesis items, for the light to affect your pH.