• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fuge Version 2.0

Hi everyone,

I currently have a fuge setup with just chaeto in it and all is fine. I recently acquired a larger fuge that fits better under my stand.

My tank is a 60G cube with a 10G sump and currently a 3G container for a remote fuge, i'm going to be adding a 6G container that will hold about 5.5G. Would anyone recommend adding anything to the fuge like a sandbed or mud? Take into account the flow through the fuge is very slow and I have a nano power head in there to keep the chaeto happy.

Tank inhabitants:
Clown fish
fire fish
neon dotty back
I will likely add a flasher Wrasse and 1 or 2 more fish in the future.

tank is about 6 months old, it was an upgrade from a 29G biocube that was running for around 2 year.

Various Zoas, SPS, 2 mini maxi anemones and a Maxima clam. Guess you'd call it a mixed reef.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
6g is still small so you can't put too much in there, but as a standalone fuge it will work.

I would not recommend adding a sand bed because that's just one more thing to clean every few months. But, I would recommend adding some rubble rock or even better, make a couple Pod Condos and stick them in there with your chaeto. This will not only add a bit more live rock for coralline algae to build up on... but it will give copepods a nice home to propagate in.

After a month or so when they start populating the condos, you can move one to the DT and add a free food source for your fish. Then you can switch that one out with the 2nd one in the fuge every so often to keep it replenished.

I know it's a small one but it's so hard to find a good size anything to fit in the 23 X 23 X ? cabinet under my cube. Thanks for the pod condo idea, i'm going to give that a try

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That wasn't meant to be a knock on you or your system. We all have to work with the space we have so the size you picked is likely the best you could do.

I just meant that even though you doubled the fuge size, there still isn't a whole lot more you can do with it.

Glad you liked my suggestion.

Oh I didn't take that as a knock at all. I upgraded mostly because my current container is a dog food container sitting on a flipped over litter container. I decided to fix that before anything broke haha.