• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fungus

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I'm looking for some advice on possible fungus treatment. I have a angel in quarenteen for the past 2 weeks and it has some fungus and was wondering if anyone treats for it. I am trying to feed heavy and keep the quarenteen tank water quality really good besides that I haven't treated with anything. Any advice, I should also say there is a wrasse in with it and shows no signs of being affected.

I hear BiFuran is an excellent product. Supposed to cure all those external parasite infections. Fungus, tail and fin rot. I just bought some to blindly treat an ailing clownfish (2 have croaked already) so I am blasting the qt with a double barrel shotgun. I don't have a microscope and the dead bodies were 'buried at sea' by the kids before I could look at them.

But anyway.... I hear it works great for fungus :)

Hey Rob,

I've been doing a little reading on your Flame Angel's ailment. It seems to be lymphocystis, a viral infection not bacterial. There is no known cure. But from what I've read it doesn't seem to be deadly unless the case is quite severe. The consensus seems to be to feed well and maintain optimal water quality and it should go away on it's own. Several sites recommend soaking food it a vitamin rich solution such as selcon, Zoecon or Vita-chem.

Also it's not supposed to be contagious so the wrasse should be fine.

Yes the "treatment" is recommended for all fish. Most of the photos posted happened to be flame angels, so I assumed it was your flame that was infected.