• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

FW are these them?!? Treatment adive?!

AEFW1.jpg

AEFW2.jpg

AEFW3.jpg

I know from the sticky link on the top of this page some prospective treatments, but I was thinking of pulling my whole tank - rock and all - out of the tank, and putting it in the iodine bath. Meanwhile preforming a 100% water change so while the tank is dry I can scrape out the rest of these guys by hand. Any suggestions/input?
They haven't damaged any corals yet but they're multiplying like crazy and they're about to get out of hand.

--tom

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Re: AEFW are these them?!? Treatment adive?!

These are your garden variety red/brown flatworms. A nusience, but otherwise not terribly harmful (until they reach plague proportions). They feed on detritus. Keep that in check and their numbers should wane. Flatworm Exit by Salifert works wonders on them, but they expel poison when they die. There's a recent thread on them. Just do a search for Flatworms.

Iodine will NOT work on them, and water changes will not affect them. Syphon them out by hand, as many as possible, and then use Flatworm Exit as Phyllis suggetsed. You want to syphon them precisely because of their toxicity.

First of all its not AEFW its just a regular FW which you can do what the above people recomended. I dealt with them for 3 months last yr and I did siphon as much as I can then dose the FWE ( Flatworm Exit) make sure after the the dosage is you have 30% of water and lots of carbon. Good luck

steve

i agree with those above....also i heard wrasses will eat them , so you might want to add a 6 line or fairy wrasse to the tank a week or two after the flat worm exit treatment to help keep them in check in case you dont kill them all.

gl.......al