• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Garage Fish Room?

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
Thinking of converting my garage to a fish room. It is south facing, so it gets real hot in the summer. In the winter, it is almost freezing. Anyone have any luck converting this space to a fish room and if so, how?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
My tank, and all supporting equipment are In the garage.

05AB1463-FAE3-4610-BE58-CB8A363D6D7F.jpeg 0EA9D23B-5832-41B1-A088-C24653DD7EDB.jpeg

Depending on the environment, you’re going to need a chiller & appropriate heat. I struggle with PH, there is a hot water heater and a ventless heater in the garage. To cope with that, I use a kalk stirrer and a C02 scrubber supplies with outside air. If you use a C02 scrubber, make sure to run the air from your skimmer cup, or what I do is use a water reactor. Either will keep the air moisturized enough to get a result from the scrubber. If you run dry air, it will deplete in days which will increase your maintenance time, and cost you $$$ in soda lime.

This may not effect you, but if the tank is in wall, it makes it harder to see what you’re doing when you need hand in the tank. My issue is compounded by having to be in a ladder for any on display maintenance.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I’d be happy to help where I can.

Dave

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd highly suggest a ductless HVAC unit.....very common in Europe, but gaining interest in the States. Mitsubishi is a common brand here. However, if you're DIY handy, you can order off Amazon (or other sites) and install yourself. HERE's an example....you'll need to calculate the BTU's you'll need....and if not insulated, I'd highly recommend insulating walls and ceiling. These types of units both heat and cool.
HVAC Ductless Unit.jpg

I have seen Dave’s setup and live stock. He absolutely knows what he is doing. I would consider any info he gives you as reef gospel

DangerDave

NJRC Member
The ductless unit is a great idea. After the frag tanks go in, I’m putting a partition wall up and adding a ductless. I wanna do my maintenance in comfort. :)

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
That’s a sweet setup, Dave. But I think you confirmed that my intentions (read hopes and dreams) of simply putting cheap insulation around the garage door and ceiling won’t make the garage suitable for a fish room. :(