• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Garage Sump

I'm moving to a house with no basement and was wondering if there are any of you out there that have garage sumps and for those that do are there any issues with heat or cold?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is a member on here, Mike (newsalt), that had his sump in the garage. He had a 180 display and a Rubbermaid tub for a sump. I think his bills were high because of the temp extremes in the garage. Mike chime in if your around.

Bob

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I know of a tank with a garage sump and like you thought the issue is heating and cooling the tank. The tank I'm talking about is about 400g with 100g sump in the garage. It needed a good sized chiller for the summer and ran a 1000w heater for the winter. I guess it would also depend on how well insulated your garage is. It can be done it just needs to be thought out very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I forgot about newsalts tank. his was one of the first NJ reefer tanks I saw, I remember it being very quiet. right now I only have a 60G cube so the sump will stay under until the upgrade