• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Garden Oaks on Rt 22

hey all,
I didn't see a thread on this store posted yet so I figured I'd start one. Garden Oaks is on rt22 and sell sheds and pond supplies as a primary form of business. In the back is a little building that sells fish. It had 3 tanks with corals and about 4 tanks with SW fish last time I was there. Also while I was there they fired their manager of the little store and I was told someone was taking it over but I haven't been there since...
If anyone has been there since let me know how it is.

(last time I was there the place was a c+ at best, but then again you can't complain when LR is 2.99 a pound at an actual store ;D)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would be careful about that $2.99lb live rock. I bought 15lbs last February and had a major breakout of red slime. Lost all my fish, every day I wake up a few more dead. Good thing it was before I took the coral plunge. I let the tank sit for 3 months and was ready to take it all down when it started coming back. I went there afterwards and seems the staff they fired didn't cure the LR properly or at all even though they told people it was cured. Last time was there they were still re-organzing and setting up with new filtration. The guy sold me a nice Spanish Hog fish very cheap.

Yeah, that seems like on of the places around here where the customer will usually know much more than the employee. (Just like @ Petco)
And with respect to live rock...Even if it's sold as cured I always cure it myself b/c you never can be too certain...

Have you ever tried Ocean Gallery on Rt. 22 in Greenbrook? I've gone there for 11 years. Owner, Gary, is very friendly and very knowledgable - he helps me personally all the time. My fish have never gotten sick from any fish I have bought from his store unlike a couple I bought from Petco. His place isn't the prettiest (it's not new) but if you go the day he gets his shipment in, he has a great selection.

yeah, I've been to the ocean gallery plenty of times. His fish are always healthy, but I wouldn't spend a lot on corals there. I was asking about garden oaks b/c they're not very know ledgable so sometimes their prices are much better than the rest of the market.

I just called Garden Oaks looking for a cleaner shrimp. The woman I spoke with told me they wer closing down the aquarium section. With the exception of 3 yellow-tail damsels, there is no more saltwater livestock. She also told me there is 40% off items like tanks and skimmers. If anyone needs anything, go check it out.

NEWSALT said:
I just called Garden Oaks looking for a cleaner shrimp. The woman I spoke with told me they wer closing down the aquarium section. With the exception of 3 yellow-tail damsels, there is no more saltwater livestock. She also told me there is 40% off items like tanks and skimmers. If anyone needs anything, go check it out.

Aquatic obsessions got about 20 cleaners in on Sunday.

Thanks Deb. I'll check out AO.

Garden Oaks is on Rt. 22W in Bound Brook. About 10-15 min. before you get to the Bridgewater Commons Mall. Phone:732-356-7333

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
All,
Just stopped there today during lunch and they are closing down the aquarium store in the back. Some fresh water fish and live rock are available. They have a lot of sumps, HOB fuges, lights, skimmers, tanks, etc. for sale. Problem is no one knows the price. Apparently, have to be there when Sherry is working to find out. I plan to stop by afterwork again to price a skimmer I saw. Much of the stuff is used so need to ensure all parts are there and working.

Mark