• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GARF.org

I've ordered from them once about 3 years ago. Beginner's corals , xenia. they've also sent a bag of 'grunge' - some mud with allegedly all kinds of germs and micro fauna it in. At that time it worked great. Coralline growth was great. Plenty of small starfishes (not asterina).
Couple months ago ordered a cleaner package (mix of snails and hermits), couple pounds of grunge, and 10 acclimated mollies.
Well, snails and hermits disappeared quick, 6 mollies are doing fine. No indication that 'gunge' add anything. But got ick that killed brown tang, regal angel, flame angel. My hypo tang and rabbit fish are still with ick, but seem to be recovering.
And 'overnight' delivery (almost $50) took about 2 weeks (weather-shmeather).
So, in my opinion, it is not the same anymore, and it is not safe to order from them.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you QT your fish or just put 10 fish into your DT after spending "2 weeks" in shipping? If you didn't QT them, I'd have to say most of the blame here goes on you. Not to mention that mollies are a type of fish that need to be acclimated with extreme care....so if you didn't slowly acclimate them it could have caused the Ich. And, adding 10 new fish at once can be a stressful thing for both them and your current fish. What size tank do you have?

Another argument that some make are that if your current fish are fed well and are healthy, they should be near immune to Ich anyway. If it got to them too, then they either weren't healthy or were really stressed.

I'm not trying to totally exonerate Garf, but the whole situation just seems like a big risk to begin with IMO.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The orginal owner passed away last year, so I am not too shocked that it is not the same.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I agree Leroy was the backbone of the quality but Sally-Joe in my opinion is top notch as well so maybe it comes down to what George's thoughts on it are.