• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Generator is not powering up

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
It was bought brand new and ran for 8 days during Sandy. Been sitting since then. Changed the oil today. Battery is dead and manual pull is not turning it on.

Any bright ideas?

What about gas? I mistakenly let mine sit with gas. I drained it and added new gas. Started up 20 mins later.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
It has about 3 Gallons in it since then. How did you drain gas? Mine does not have a drain plug..

Chances are the spark plug needs to be cleaned after sitting for that long. I know with my lawnmower after sitting all winter I need to take it out, clean it and then put it back in. So, if you have a spark plug wrench remove the spark plug, clean the end that goes in the engine and then put it back in. it should start after that.

There is always a drain for the gas line, somehow some way. Which brand and model is it? That gas is definitely not healthy and the spark plug may need to be cleaned as well.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Sunny you're going to have to drain the gas make sure you get it out of the lines and drain it from the float bowl on the carburetor. Also as suggested above remove and inspect the spark plug. They're cheap enough so maybe just replace it anyway.

if you replace....make sure you bring the old one with you so you can make sure you get the right one to replace it with.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I found a way to drain. It is draining now. Have to check the spark plug now.

No Pete, I did not.

Glad to hear you got it started. After Sandy, I converted my generator to a tri-fuel carburetor. Runs on Propane, natural gas, and gasoline. The benefit is propane never goes bad and will not gunk your engine up as gasoline does. Worth the cost when you need it.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Glad to hear you got it started. After Sandy, I converted my generator to a tri-fuel carburetor. Runs on Propane, natural gas, and gasoline. The benefit is propane never goes bad and will not gunk your engine up as gasoline does. Worth the cost when you need it.

I will get a whole house generator next. I agree, gasoline is just not worth it.

Our whole house 20kW system is ready to go for the power outage, but it too requires maintenance. Every 100 hours of operation you still have to change oil, filters and such, but that is simple.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Our whole house 20kW system is ready to go for the power outage, but it too requires maintenance. Every 100 hours of operation you still have to change oil, filters and such, but that is simple.

I used my generator once in 3 years now. SO I will take the 100 hour maintenance any day.
What have you got, a Generac?

I used my generator once in 3 years now. SO I will take the 100 hour maintenance any day.
What have you got, a Generac?
It runs once a week for 20 minutes too to cycle through. Basically you should have it tuned up once a year if you don't want to do it yourself. Daily durning Sandy, shut down checked oil and started back up. After I changed oil etc. But then had someone come in and tune it up last year. I got a GE 10KW runs the whole house..but it is high effiencieny appliances, gas heat, and never ran the AC full on with it.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Put gas stabilizer mixed in with the gas and you shouldn't have gas problems next year. Gas turns into tarnish after a while and clogs up the jets in the carb.