• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

getting AI Vegas next week

gonna go with 3 over my 6' 125g. i considered doing 4 just to ensure maximum coverage, but just not in the budget. saying i'm excited would be an under statement. i'll be posting after i get them for suggestions on settings.

I have a 180 that is 6' long and have 4 SolBlues over it. Some folks have said the spread on the Vega is even better so you might be fine. Look forward to seeing the pics.

well, three is all i can afford so i hope it will be ok. i have a 4 bulb t5 now with a reef brite supplement so i hope it's comparable.
i like that AI likes to make their stuff upgradeable when they release new technology. i'm pretty nervous. this is a huge reef purchase for me, and nothing scares me more than the fear of buyers remorse. but i really trust the people that have told me good things about them. so, i'm off to a new lighting adventure.

How high up are you mounting them. It really matters. I originally had my Sols about 3" off the tank then raised it to 7, what a difference.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I think you will be fine with the 3 if you get the height right. One of the tanks I maintain is an 8 footer and has 4 Vegas over it and they have been working great.

That is definitely the thing to optimize these types of lights. To close you don't get the right spread of light to far away impacts their strength. I have heard the best is between 8-15 inches but i could be wrong. I have used miter rails for my hanging system, works perfectly, but i know others have used all sorts of things.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I have the same question,
I just received my Vegas in the mail yesterday and was about to Build my light rail tomorrow before the meeting and I have a 90 gallon tank and I'm not sure how High to set them.

I'm going to going with a pair of vegas on my 90 gallon build , starting to build the canopy tomorrow not sure what height to set them at

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Here's a pic with mine 9" off the water on my 90. They are on acclimation mode 40 percent of 70 percent where I liked them turned up they look great. First pic is of tank with Mh 10k bulbs 2 actinic and 2 purple. Second is vega at the setting described above.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tank is less then 3 months old

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If my little feeble mind remembers, AI’s have 80 degree optics. Now stay with me here….an LED directly over the tank is producing a cone of light, and if it were bisected in half vertically, two right triangles of light are witnessed, with the upper angle of 40 degrees (half of 80) and the lower angles at 50 degrees. Now the tangent of an angle is the ratio of opposite to adjacent. Oh crap, I’m in seventh grade again! Checking the tangent of 40 degrees, I find that it is 0.83909963118.

Now how wide is your tank? What you need to do is divide that number in half and use it in this simple formula:

Height = ½ tank width / 0.83909963118

As an example, if I had an 18 inch wide tank,

Height = 9 / 0.83909963118
Height = 10.7 inches

So at 10.7 inches above the tank, all light would be directed into the tank.

NOW, all this is out the window if you have a canopy….especially if the inside is painted white. The fall-off light would just be reflected back into the tank.

In addition, if you weren’t an anal-retentive geek like me, you’d disregard this post all together and mount the lights wherever they looked good….12 inches sounds good! :grin:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
If my little feeble mind remembers, AI’s have 80 degree optics. Now stay with me here….an LED directly over the tank is producing a cone of light, and if it were bisected in half vertically, two right triangles of light are witnessed, with the upper angle of 40 degrees (half of 80) and the lower angles at 50 degrees. Now the tangent of an angle is the ratio of opposite to adjacent. Oh crap, I’m in seventh grade again! Checking the tangent of 40 degrees, I find that it is 0.83909963118.

Now how wide is your tank? What you need to do is divide that number in half and use it in this simple formula:

Height = ½ tank width / 0.83909963118

As an example, if I had an 18 inch wide tank,

Height = 9 / 0.83909963118
Height = 10.7 inches

So at 10.7 inches above the tank, all light would be directed into the tank.

NOW, all this is out the window if you have a canopy….especially if the inside is painted white. The fall-off light would just be reflected back into the tank.

In addition, if you weren’t an anal-retentive geek like me, you’d disregard this post all together and mount the lights wherever they looked good….12 inches sounds good! :grin:

I'm glad someone paid attention in math class, cause it certainly wasn't me. That's some good info Paul.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Holy s..t, way to much math for me. Lol. I just know what looks good lol, I guess I was just out back behind the school during math tooooo often if you know what I mean. :p

got the lights, built an aluminum frame to attach them to. have them aprox. 10" off the surface of the water, suspended from the ceiling. i'm currently acclimating the tank, plan to bump them up 5% a week or so till i get to the desired brightness. i like them so far. still playing with tweaking the colors. i find i have to keep the greens and reds much lower than the rest so i don't have spot lighting of those colors.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Sounds like a good start,
Here's how I have mine
White 70
Blues 90
Red 25
Green 25
Two hour ramp time
Weather once a day no lightning
On 12 hours
This setting is a lot like fish brains and it seems to be pretty good
They have been on acclimation for a month now and will still be acclemating for another month
Hope this helps a little I love mine the color is great