• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Getting back in the hobby...so much has changed!

Hi! I'm Allan. My tank, Aqueon 180g and 40g glass sump have been in storage for a few years and it's time to start it back up. I kept a successful FOWLR with a few corals here and there, but this time, I would like to have more corals. I have some of the old equipment (T5 brackets, skimmer etc.) but not sure if I should buy better/newer stuff. Definitely want to go with LED lighting. I guess the first order of business is getting a stand/canopy. I looked at the Elegance stand and that's around $1,200. Its been 10+ years since the tank was up and running, so anything you can advise or suggest would be helpful. Thanks!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Welcome to the club.

Cannot speak about the stand other than you can buy or make one.
As for the tanks I would check the seals as the silicone may have dried up or cracked.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Welcome back Allan. I ended up getting rid of all my old stuff and bought a smaller new tank. Everything has changed and my electric bills are nothing like what they used to be with my old tank. So, I justify the new tank by the money I have saved every month. ;)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hi Allan,
T5s are still in btw. Check the sales area in the forums, there's usually a quality tank or two up for a steal. As momof6 stated I went the same direction, broke down the big tanks and have 2 small systems right now, a 40 cube and a 30g IM that I love. Maintenance is a breeze. If you can make it, try to get to the meet this weekend in Brick (near Point Pleasant), there'll be a few of us here to hang, eat, drink, and talk shop with.

Thanks for the replies and the advice. Never thought about the seals. I'm literally looking at the tank wondering can I go smaller. I have thought about building a stank, which I could do, but I have to think about that more. I will try to make the next meeting.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Welcome back !! #onceareeferalwaysareefer