• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Getting bacK up and running

I have a biocube 29 that has been sitting stagnant for about a year ( no circulation) with rock & sand. The water is clear & it still has pink coralline algae on the rock & glass. Should I pull out the rock & sand and start over or just do some major water changes?

I know you said no water movement,but what about the temp?And have (in that yr ) did any water changes?If yes to either I would just do some major water changes.Sure beats starting from scratch and going thru a major cycle.Aside from coraline algea is anythin alive in the tank? snails,hermits etc?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
After a year I would just start over. Pull the rocks out and put them in a bucket with new SW. Throw out the old sand and buy some new sand. Fill the tank with fresh saltwater and re-aquascape your tank with the rocks. Add some bio-spira, let it cycle and you will be back in business in no time.

Room temp & no water changes... I don't believe there is anything living in there at least that I can see.

After a year I would just start over. Pull the rocks out and put them in a bucket with new SW. Throw out the old sand and buy some new sand. Fill the tank with fresh saltwater and re-aquascape your tank with the rocks. Add some bio-spira, let it cycle and you will be back in business in no time.

+1