• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Glass aquarium seams look iffy

I am in the process of rebuilding my 175 bowfront aquarium and notice what looks to me like the silicon in the tank seams are starting to deteriorate. PLease take a look at the photos and let me know your thoughts and if there is a way to repair it. The tank is empty right now and is about 12 years old. The pictures are from the front edges of the tank. Since this is a bowfront I am not sure if this is an optical illusion, but posting for some opinions.

Thanks,

IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG

I am in the process of rebuilding my 175 bowfront aquarium and notice what looks to me like the silicon in the tank seams are starting to deteriorate. PLease take a look at the photos and let me know your thoughts and if there is a way to repair it. The tank is empty right now and is about 12 years old. The pictures are from the front edges of the tank. Since this is a bowfront I am not sure if this is an optical illusion, but posting for some opinions.

Thanks,

View attachment 14231
View attachment 14232

Being it is empty already just remove the old silicon and put new one, same problem happen to me and almost lost everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being it is empty already just remove the old silicon and put new one, same problem happen to me and almost lost everything.

I was looking on-line for tutorials and saw a method where you remove the silicon from the inside except you don't remove the silicon from between the glass in the joint. I know some of the deterioration is between the glass in the joint. JUst wondering if by just removing the glue inside would be enough. That way it would prevent further salt water getting in the joints.

Did you just replace inside the tank or in the seam/joint?

I was looking on-line for tutorials and saw a method where you remove the silicon from the inside except you don't remove the silicon from between the glass in the joint. I know some of the deterioration is between the glass in the joint. JUst wondering if by just removing the glue inside would be enough. That way it would prevent further salt water getting in the joints.

Did you just replace inside the tank or in the seam/joint?

Just the inside silicon is good enough, you can get reef safe silicon from Home Depot or Lows...GE 1 if I'm not mistaken is the one you need.