• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Glass Drilling

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Guys, Soon to be a member of the group (at March meeting)...

I am creating a new sump for my 110 Reef tank and moving it to the basement. (My current sump is under the stand and I am getting to old to bend over and work in tight places - *I hear the snickering*)

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that will be perfect for it. Does anyone in the South Jersey area know who can drill 2 x 1 inch buklhead holes for me (1 7/8" actual size). I know I can buy the bit for $50 and do it myself, but I would just as well not do that. I don't mind driving or paying for it.

Phil Gordemer
phil@gnsgroup.com

Paulsboro, NJ

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lots of experience doing this within the club. If it doesn't happen by the March meeting you can bring it along and we'll do it there!

Just a heads up... the March Group Buy will be Inverts (and it will be long over by the time the meeting strolls around).

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Phyl, I was going to try and join up at the 24th meeting since its right around the corner, but I am teaching Scuba this weekend.

In my old reef group in Florida, we actually had a *roving* set of tools that the group owned. You could use them with a donation for maintenance of the items. Was very popular. Some of the more experienced guys would donate with bits and benders etc when they upgraded, so it was added to the shared pool of tools. It made drilling parties fun <*smile>

Phil Gordemer

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cape May is pretty far but I could help you out if you wanted to make the trip.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not that far, I live in Paulsboro, but work in Hammonton.

I might take you up on that offer. I have now have the luxury of a full unfinished basement (no more chiller needed), and direct access to the floor under where the tank sits, so I am taking my time planning this out.

For me, its never been about the cost or saving money, its the tinkering, making friends, etc....

*Hey Phyl, you talked me into it, joined as of a few minutes ago, all paid)

Phil

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to NJRC! I've updated your status so that you can now see the Member's only forums.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, Rich T, I think I would want to take you up on the offer. I don't need much excuse for road trips (Easy when you can a company car and they pay the gas)

What I am leaning towards is using a 40 gallon breeder. Have an 1.5" bulkhead added on left end near the top and at the right end near the bottom. Then divide the tank into 3 sections with bubble traps

I still have a good Proclear 200 Wet/Dry I use and plan for now to keep it (and that is where my EV 120 Skimmer is). So the plan was the feed the overflow from the tank to the wet/dry, put a bulkhead in the Wet/Dry and have that unit empty to the 40 Gallon bulkhead that is on the High side, then go through 3 compartments to the right side bulkhead and out an external pump (possible MAK 4 - haven't purchased a good external pump [have had bad luck over the years with external pumps, but thats another story]), then back to the tank 14' up.

Since the Skimmer is already taken care of before it gets to the breeder tank, I basically have 2 spare compartments that I can do stuff with (refuge/etc) as I determine.

Organization of where and by heights is easy as I have one of those commercial baking stainless steel rolling shelve units (they hold 800lb per shelf)

-Phil

Thoughts

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
pgordemer said:
Well, Rich T, I think I would want to take you up on the offer. I don't need much excuse for road trips (Easy when you can a company car and they pay the gas)
Thoughts
Lets touch base towards the end of the week. Maybe we can do it over the weekend. (unless you were considering doing it after work.)

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Next weekend is fine, but basically since you are being so great to do this, I will work around whatever schedule you want. The drive isn't a big deal, I take road trips all the time.

Just tell me what I need to bring. I have a 40 breeder and 2 1.5" slip bulkheads, but I will buy whatever you think is easier to work with. (They are schedule 80 type). I figure I could drill the Proclear myself (acrylic and I have a door lock hole saw).

I was going to maybe try and get the glass pieces cut for make the bubble traps. (my local lowes doesn't cut glass, so I have to look around).

Phil
phil@gnsgroup.com
856-687-0449

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Although the whole saws will work, they can mess up a project as well. They heat up and melt the acrylic and cause all kind of problems. I have a dermal with a circle cutter attachment and plastic drill bits for the pilot holes, that will produce a much cleaner, safer, hole.

The only thing we'll need to buy for the glass cutting are diamond bits for the dermal to cut the glass. We could us a tile bit in a roto zip as well but with the thinner glass I would feel better using the dremel.

For the baffles, You/I can pick up some .25" acrylic at Lowe's or Home Depot that I can quickly cut and machine to fit. (I have some scrap acrylic laying around but I don't think its enough)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not that I'm aware of. If there is I'm all ears. Lots of reefers silicon acrylic baffles in. All three components are reefsafe; glass, acrylic and silicon. So I'm not really sure where the issue is but you would need to be the one that's comfortable with it. If you come across the info that would show otherwise, make sure you post it up.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I believe the problem comes from silicone not adhereing to acrylic as well as it does to glass. As long as it is in sump and there is no large amount of pressure on the acrylic, silicone will hold it in place. Scuff up the edges of the acrylic and it will give the silicone something to hold onto a litle better.

I would not use silicone to build an acrylic tank with though.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think that is what I heard - That Acrylic has trouble bonding to the glass with silicone....

But I defer to the experts that have do it. I stay in my comfort zone, tinkering, electric and computer controls.

-Phil

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have acrylic baffles in my glass sump. I used standard Type I silicone and it seems to hold pretty well. I had heard the concerns that it may not adhere well, so I used a good bit of silicone and so far so good.

When I put my sump together the first time, I used acrylic baffels. They cost me about $12 to have cut down. When I fired up the water and the return pump, they bowed and didn't seem to hold very well. Could be because I used acrylic that was too thin, I don't know.

So, I called a local glass shop, and they cut the baffels for me the same size, and rounded the edges for, guess what, 12 bucks (I still managed to cut myself, but that's another story).

For the lack of price difference, I kept the glass baffels and considered it lesson learned. The glass is in there TIGHT and there is no flexing that I can see.

Of course, I'm running at least 600 GPH through my sump because I throw the water back out at the surface through 3 outlets to agitate the water surface, allowing me to keep my powerheads to a minimum (only 2) and keep them lower in the tank. That could have also contributed to the bowing of the acrylic baffels. They just looked like they would tear out over time.

When I chose my silicone, there were too many people throwing out scare stories about mildew inhibitors, etc, etc, so I just paid the extra 70 cents and bought the silicone at Lowes that specifically says "aquarium silicone" on it. Again, price difference was negligible for the peace of mind it gave me.

Just my two cents.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
¼" acrylic will do just fine. I use it all the time. As I'm somewhat of a fumble finger, I feel using the acrylic would be one less thing to break compared to glass. Plus, it's so much eaiser to work with IMO.

I can feel the fumble fingers comment! I've been told I could fall down standing still. As a matter of fact, I think its happened. My wife crynges every time she hears the table saw fire up!

That's why I had them "polish" the edgs, and I still cut myself. Go figure.

Rich is definitely the "sump man", so I'd take his advice.

I'm thinking my next sump may have to be totally acrylic. (wink wink, nudge nudge, hint hint hehehe)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mfisher2112 said:
I'm thinking my next sump may have to be totally acrylic. (wink wink, nudge nudge, hint hint hehehe)
You know that can be done.