• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Glass shop in South Jersey

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Anyone know of any glass shops in the Burlington County Area? I need to get some baffles to replace my sump and I guess I won't use acrylic in glass if I can avoid it. One blown up sump in the lifespan of this hobby is enough :)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
It's somewhat hard to see but if you can make it out the cracks begin at the bottom point where one of the acrylic baffles sat. There are 3 cracks all originating from the same point suggesting a stress fracture. Paul (redfish) suggested that acrylic expands in water. Something I did NOT know...
jeqebu9y.jpg

Anyway there's a shop in maple shade - very close, but they said there's 2 week wait. I hate the thought of running sump-less for close to a month (it's been almost a week) I need a new 40b and it seems the different brands are slightly off sized. Once I get a tank I'll order and then I need to glue it up.

I used glass castle in Lawrenceville. I had the glass the day after I ordered. They charged me $15 for each piece sized to a 40b. Downfall was that they were the most expensive by about $4-$6 each piece. But they were the only ones that could have it ready next day.

Dave, I used to use Broadway Glass in Pennsauken, but I think they moved. I think they're in Medford or Marlton now. They were quick and on the cheap/inexpensive side.

falconut

NJRC Member
Dosen't Lowes Cut Glass?

Besides being thin, you'll have to get some emery cloth to smooth the edges, so you don't cut your self. I used their glass for a small sump. Much easier to go to glass shop, they run it through a machine and the edges come out very smooth.

There's a bunch of them in Philly and they'll do it there while you wait. I just don't recall names but easy to look up.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I'll call around but I guess I'll try to cut 1/8" off the acrylic. At least there's no wait for that and they have teeth in them which I can't have in the glass. I did get an explanation that they can't cut my existing baffles down b/c they're tempered.

The place in pleasentville will do anything with glass or plastic. On the rich side but cut my pieces while I waited. Took about an hour.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Yea, but their's is very thin and probably not sufficient for a sump baffle.

What thickness should I ask for? The ones I had were tempered. Seems that's overkill but I'm weighing options and thanks to aquarium center I have a new 40b in the truck now / finally. I didn't want to order new baffles in case I couldn't get one -- now I'm ready. I'm a little gun shy with the acrylic. Like I said, still weighing options. I'll probably use the acrylic but I'd like to call a couple shops suggested here and see how long I'd have to wait....