• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Good canister filters

I am thinking more recently to dive into Canister filters. I've used Aquaclear power filters for the longest time now and I'd like to try something new. Hopefully something more efficient. Any recommendations? I've heard Fluval is good.
Thanks in advanced for any reply

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I used a canister for many years before getting a sump which was a year ago. First choice should be a sump but if not able then a canister will work. Sumps are just easier to clean without any effort.

I first had a Fluval 407 and then a FX6. FX6 has more water volume and 2 nestling baskets. I loaded mine with rock on the bottom. I only used one basket and that had filter pads

What size is your tank?

Yes, Fluval FX4 is a great filter for big aquariums. I've been using this canister filters for almost 10 years now. It featues 700 gph flow rate and 5 filtration stages

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Eheim makes very good canister filter.
I wouldn’t use it for saltwater. If possible a sump is always the way to go.
If you can’t have a sump. Then I wound look at a all in one tank.
the eheim classic when i had a fresh water tank was my go to filter.
I also really like the fluval FX 5 or 6
I love sumps so much that if I would do a fresh water tank
I would use a sump to keep everything and run some filter Socks