• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

good cheap LED?

please remind which LED are OK ?
I see several 120W and less models on amazon. within 200$.
bridgelux OK, or better go for less Watt but CREE?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Bridgelux are great and will grow your corals, CREEs are even better for the reason it takes less to get the light output compared to Bridgelux. Like matt suggested, go look into a ReefBreeder's Value Unit, if you want a <$200 unit.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
+1 on these NEW “Chinese” fixtures. I didn’t buy mine from Reefbreeders, but I’m 99 percent sure that it is the same fixture that I bought off of ebay.

I am extremely impressed. My major complaint about the earlier “Chinese” fixtures was that their heat sink was either not there or just a flat piece of aluminum. This new one has both a flat piece of aluminum attached to a finned cooling piece…very nice.

AluminumCoolingFins_zps3d7b80c6.jpg

I also like that at least one fan is on when just the blues are on. Again, with the old units (at least for the TaoTronics I have), there was no fan on when blues were on. Fans only came on when whites were turned on.

I’m very happy!

Nice thanks for the link. Was thinking about a 4 bulb t5 ho fixture but now that I found this I'm thinking of going with these. Do u have any pics or video of these lights on ur tank?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just in case anyone wanted to c it in action I found this vid on youtube

This one shows it running through the day night cycle. Once u set it u can run a demo to view the settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFagwHADcB4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And this is when he first got it and kinda comparing it to his T5 fixture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbg_1KzZJR8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just to clarify, the video is, I believe, Reefbreeder’s Photon series that comes with a programmable controller. The Photon 120W sells for 319….not bad.

They also sell a value light, which I believe is the same light, but with potentiometers to control the light. That 120W sells for 179.

I have 2 of the controllable units. Got em for 305 back in Nov. and the colors do make the corals pop. they have a custom program with the half hour settings, So I set my own day cycle changing the intensity every half hour. Being my tank is in my bedroom I wake up to moon lights, but if it is day break then I have overslept!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not trying to hijack but how many of the $319 units would I need over a 40 breeder and what lenses would be best?

One is perfect.

I don’t like spotlighting and want the different colored lights to "intermix," so I like the larger angled lenses. That being said, if you want to mound it up high, you may need the narrower lenses.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
you should be good with just one with 90 optics at around 12" - 24" above the water line. I'd say 16" would be ideal. if you want par all over though, go with two but not really needed.

Awesome thanks guys

That link I put up was one 24" one over a 40 breeder and he says he should have went with the 120 optics instead of the 90 optics so it was as spot lighted. I asked him the same and he said I would be able to have anything in my 40 breeder with that set up.

In the YouTube video I asked him about the optics and he said with the 90 optics he is getting 400 par and the sand bed so with the 120 it should be enough to house anything.