• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Good Marine Fish Stores in North Jersey?

Hi, I'm new to the New Jersey Reefers Club, so just like to say that this site is really awesome. Also, I have recently moved to Northern Jersey, and would like to know what are some good stores in let's say in Bergen and Passaic County. Primarily Bergen County Please, also please tell me if you've ever shopped there and what did you buy? Was it in good condition, would you go back there again? Thanks a ton!

I live in Rockland Cty(NY). That borders Bergen.

Local to me there is Pets Place in Nanuet.
Fish Town in Ramsey/Mahwah on route 17.
Pet Goods Rt 17 Paramus
I have traveled to absolutely fish in Clifton.
There are a couple of stores in Hackensack. I have yet to get to these.

There is one called "the fish tank" on the 46 in saddle brook.

Its right before the border of Bergen County and Passaic County.

249 Rt 46 West 07663

looks small from the 46 but very deep and wide once you get in.

nice selection of both salt and fresh.

Welcome to N. Jersey Steve!!! I've lived in N. NJ most of my life and have seen many aquarium stores come and go, and have even worked at a few.

To add a few to the list:

Reef Encounters in Hackensack is OK for basics. Fish selection is so so, coral selection is limited, inverts is limited as well. Livestock usually looks healthy and drygood selection is not bad. The staff can be a little grouchy and prices aren't bad.

Just over the border in Spring Valley is Beital's. Coral and invert selection is better than Reef Encounters, the fish selection seems to be geared to larger fish for the most part. Prices are the highest I've encountered.

To expand on the info from the others:

The Fish Tank had a good selection of fish, limited corals and inverts the 2 times I've been there. I also noticed alot of dead fish therefore I didn't bother to look at prices.

The one time I was in Pets Place in Nanuet, I had a tough time getting help, thought the prices for dry goods was high and didn't look at live stock long enough to notice.

Absolutely Fish in Clifton is my store of choice, although has it's deficiencies. Fish selection is usually nice, coral selection is the best I've found, invert selection is so so. Prices tend to run a little high though and the help seem to have a chip on their shoulder. They also have a nice fresh water selection(for what it's worth) and a good dry good selection if you don't mind the high prices. Check out their web-site, they have some interesting events like a huge midnight sale that draws huge crowds.

As with all LFS's dont' trust a word these clowns tell you, any of them!!! The owner of Beital's and the main guy at Reef Encounters both told me a Goniopora was a good selection for my very new reef with PC lighting.

Good luck

North Jersey here too!

Well Demo pretty much hit the nail right on the head as far as the ones mentioned are concerned.

Here is a quick list of the ones I go to:

Absolutely Fish (Clifton)
The Reef Encounter (Hamilton)
The Fish Tank (SaddleBrook)
Aquatic Obsessions (Avenel)
Aquatic Visions (East Hanover)
Pet Shanty (Scotch Plains, Route 22)
Ocean Gallery (North Plainfield, Route 22)
Shark Aquarium (Hillside, Route 22)
Ely's (Florham Park)
Dr. Dan's (Clifton)

There are a couple that I can't remember the names of but I do remember the locations:

There is one in Roselle, I can't remember the name of it...I think it's Under Water World. I think it's on North Avenue.

There is a small one in Dover (I think Denville Pet store) not one to go out of your way for but sometimes he has small stuff you can look at it if your in the area. Not worth making a trip for though.

There is another one right next to the Marine Technical Concept (Skimmer Manft.) building but can't remember the name of the place or town.

Hope this helps. I am always on the look out for new places to check out so if you find any let me know.

Chaucer, is Aquatic Visions in East Hanover formerly Hanover Pet? I remember it from years ago to be quite good, but finally made it there today and boy was I dissappointed. Scratched that off my list.

Dover Pet is not far from where I grew up. As a kid I had 6 fresh and 1 saltwater tank in my parents house and used to ride my bike to Dover. I was there about 2 years ago and the only lasting memory was the vast number of aptasia in there few tanks.

I'm gonna check out Dr. Dan's later this week.

Demo said:
Chaucer, is Aquatic Visions in East Hanover formerly Hanover Pet? I remember it from years ago to be quite good, but finally made it there today and boy was I dissappointed. Scratched that off my list.

Dover Pet is not far from where I grew up. As a kid I had 6 fresh and 1 saltwater tank in my parents house and used to ride my bike to Dover. I was there about 2 years ago and the only lasting memory was the vast number of aptasia in there few tanks.

I'm gonna check out Dr. Dan's later this week.

Actually it still is fairly decent. I was going to actually mention that they have hit a dry spell. Most of their tanks are empty. They haven't replenished any of their livestock. They do however have some pretty nice stuff in their from time to time. I work in the area so I'm in there all the time. I will post when they get some new stuff in. Don't hold your breathe though I don't know what's going on in there but they will pull out of it. ???

Dan is a really nice guy. I met him before the store officially opened and he let us in to see the store and hang out for a bit. The store is small but he can pretty much get you anything you want for a fair price.

hey, does anyone has an advice on stores in central NJ. I'm in Princeton and have hard time finding a place to buy some basic livestock, e. g. snails, crabs, macro algae.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Allquatics is in Hamilton and one of our other sponsors (TB Aquatics) is in Flemington (by appointment or shipped only). You can check with both of them regarding specific items you're interested in.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
hey, does anyone has an advice on stores in central NJ. I'm in Princeton and have hard time finding a place to buy some basic livestock, e. g. snails, crabs, macro algae.

The Hidden Reef is also pretty close to you. www.thehiddenreef.com

ima from bergen county aswell and i had a lot of trouble finding
marine fish places
here are a couple:
reef encounter in south hackensack
aquarium@rt4 in elmwood park
the fish tank on rt 46 saddle brook
absolutely fish rt46 clifton
those are the ones i frequently visit

meherbas how is the aquarium store on Rt.4 in Elmwood Park? The one time I stopped in there about 18 months ago I left without spending much time looking around after they tried to charge me $78.00 for a bucket of Instant Ocean.

Well, close to south I guess, is Trop, Aquatic Obsessions, Ocean Gallery II, which I think would be some of the better choices.

Oh, and I guess a better question instead of "Good Marine Fish Stores in Norther Jersey" would have been, Who in this club is in Northern Jersey

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
SteveReef said:
Well, close to south I guess, is Trop, Aquatic Obsessions, Ocean Gallery II, which I think would be some of the better choices.

Oh, and I guess a better question instead of "Good Marine Fish Stores in Norther Jersey" would have been, Who in this club is in Northern Jersey
I'm far north