• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Got talked into setting up my first tank... 30 gallon

7 Days ago I knew absolutly nothing about saltwater aquariums but this is my first attemp. My friend who posts on here (Dabooth) talked me into setting up a 30 gallon tank I had laying around in the garage. This is where I'm at so far...

30 Gallon
Aquac Remora Pro
Koralia 2
12-15 lbs of rock
15 or so assorted snails.

Day 1 (2/16/09)
DSC_0430.jpg

Day 6 (2/22/09)
Got more rock
DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

Day 7 (2/23/09)
Got the Remora on and the water cleared up
DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

This is the start...

Now I'm working on a lot more rock and a light. I can see this getting addictive for sure after seeing what the possibilities are.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the addiction! It looks like you're off to a great start. Just take it slow and read, read, read and read some more. Ask a lot of questions and be patient and it'll save a lot of lives, money and heartaches.

Good luck and welcome again.

Yeah vinchenzo. welcome to the addiction you need to come through my crib and check out the set up. it's drew by the way.

Bit of an update and the tank is coming along...

The water has been testing fine, The latest was

Amm - 0
Nitrate - o
Nitrite - o
PH - 8.4
Alk - 3.66
sg - 1.22-1.23

Added two scarlet hermits, a peppermint shrimp and two black clowns. Also added some rock and re-arranged. Only problem is the skimmer isn't producing much at all so I'm not sure what that is about. Cleaned it with a gallon of vinegar and hot water running through it for 2 hours but I think the pump might be on it way out.

3-9FTS1.jpg

3-9FTS2.jpg

3-9shrimp.jpg

3-9Clown.jpg

Congrats! They look really good. Don't worry, you will get tired of that clunky powerhead sitting in the tank feeding your skimmer soon enough... then you will need to research a sump and the plumbing .. and then a lighting upgrade and this and that. It's never ending!!

It is a lot of fun though - and that's the important thing! Enjoy it!

I remember talking myself out of the hobby for 2 years before I finally got sucked in. I remember horror stories from my parents tank as a teenager. It actually caught fire from the salt creep or a leak. That said.. don't forget about the GFCI protection!

Reefposer said:
Only problem is the skimmer isn't producing much at all so I'm not sure what that is about. Cleaned it with a gallon of vinegar and hot water running through it for 2 hours but I think the pump might be on it way out.

the skimmer will take a week or two to "break in" and skim. it needs to build up a slime coating inside to do its thing. it is also possible you dont have much gunk in the water yet for it to skim out. i would just let it run.

To add to the previous statement - I am running my HOB skimmer just as you are - with a piece of plastic between the nipple and the pump. I find that it is very hard to adjust the skimmer for dry vs. wet skimmate. Your skimmer may do a better job at this, but because of how low the pump sits it tends to work very dry - so the cup will collect very slowly.

Just remember, when the tube going up to the cup gets a green slime in it, then it should be cleaned.

Looks like you have a good start. Don't worry you don't have much to skim at this point. Keep up the pace(slow) you are doing great.

I'm bored today so I figured I'd update this. I got a little more rock, 2 tiny blue leg hermits, a turbo snail and a Royal Gramma basslet. I also noticed these tiny white tree looking things popping up on one of my rocks. I was hoping you guys might know what they are and let me know if they are a problem. The skimmer has finally started to do its thing so thats good but it is making a good amount of micro bubbles. I was thinking of getting the pre-skimmer box to try and take care of that.

What are these? (the pic kinds sucks)
DSC_0424.jpg

Royal Gramma (he lives in that crack in the rock, it is big enough for him to completely disappear in there. Pretty cool to watch)
DSC_04282.jpg

FTS
DSC_04272.jpg

DSC_04242.jpg

Looks good..... :) I like the rock-scape... very Zen !

I'm sure one of the experts can identify that easily for you....... It's hard to see clear, but maybe.... Aiptasia ? ???

CoralGarden said:
Looks good..... :) I like the rock-scape... very Zen !

I'm sure one of the experts can identify that easily for you....... It's hard to see clear, but maybe.... Aiptasia ? ???

Thanks for the comments. Your tank is looking pretty damn good too. Whatever is growing is not aiptasia... They are one of the few things I'm familiar with and just help a friend get them cleared up in his tank. The growth I have looks like a tree, minus leave obviously and it is white.

looks really good so far. and your taking your time which is nice to see and very wise. grab a nice anemone for those clowns and youll be set. as for the tree thing, its a very cloudy pic so its hard to make out, its doesnt look like apstasia. so you shouldnt be too worried, unless its something worse, but id is hard. see if you can get a clearer/close up of it

So... haven't updated in a bit and the tank has changed a good bit. Got a nice deal on rocks from a member on here. Came chock full of life with tube works, an emerald crab, coraline and a little starfish. Sadly the peppermint shrimp died. Also the clown I thought had ich is doing fine... he had a white spot on the tip on his fin but it has been two weeks and the spot fell off and nobody else is sick. Him and the female have been going at it around bedtime so maybe it was a love bite.

FTS
DSC_0430.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

Family photo
DSC_0433.jpg

Is this a polyp? Certainly not aiptasia. Not sure how a bunch of them survived in a dark bin when the rock was kept before I bought it. Got about 7 of them and they are open fully under my massive 18 watt light.

DSC_0429.jpg

Forgot to say, Thanks to everyone for the kind words so far. This is almost the end of the road for this tank already. Grabbed a drilled 40 breeder with a stand, canopy, sump with skimmer and a koralia 1 this weekend for $235. Not a bad deal at all. Going to try and get that where this tank is this weekend and transfer everything over.

Wow sweet deal, and your current tank is looking really good. I'm still REALLY new at this but just take your time and don't make snap decisions. Research your stuff and always ask if your not sure. Keep on posting those awesome pics. Good luck with your 40 breeder.