• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Greetings From Grand Cayman

Hey everyone, been a while. Yea, I'm down in Grand Cayman. Makes me think of long lost days of Reef Tanks. No I'm not diving, but spending hours and hours snorkeling. Been to about 6 different highly rated sites. Played with the Stingrays, I've seen Montipora Elkhorn that is so big...one colony was about 4 feet across at the top, beautiful brown color. There does not seem to be much good SPS coral, but today I finally found some what looks like a staghorn type coral. Still not much color, but looks good. I've seen a lot of Monti Cap, litterally hundreds of those Maze brain corals. Then of course there are the fish. Simply amazing how many fish you will see as soon as you dip your mask in the water. Many Angels, and so many fish that I simply cant ID. The Stingrays are really incredible, I never get tired of looking at the giant parrot fish.
The water is just so blue and clear. This morning I was swimming along and realized how nice the sun looks as it hits the Sand. Now I know what those Metal Halides are supposed to be creating. never looks like this though. The light just dances on the sand about 20 feet deep.
Anyway, just thought I would send a quick post to all of you.
Hope everyone is well. I'm here for a few more days. Many more snorkeling sites to visit.

Kelly (Hef)

If you can, try the PADI beginner dive course in Grand Cayman.

You will see some spectacular corals, 6" cleaner shrimp and many hogfish,grammas,butterfly and angelfish. ;)

Doug

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like a great trip, Hef! Hopefully you've picked up one of those disposable, waterproof cams to snap some pictures for us!

Now where is that "This Thread Is Useless Without Pics" thing when you need it?!?

:p

Hope you're having a smashing time, in spite of my rampant jealousy!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
worthless.gif

Well I agree, a thread is worthless without pics. You'll have to give me a break for now though, no methods of posting pics at the moment.

No I will not have any underwater pics, I did buy some pics from a group that I went out with, I'll try to post those up.

I'll give a full rundown later on all the places we hit, I think we hit them all. We snorkeled on every part of the island, N,S,E & W. I never thought I could spend that much time in the water.

I saw a single nice anemone today, seems strange that for the whole week I would only see one. Knowing how they multiply and all.
I was face to face with a big Barracuda, pretty scary, but I lived.
Got me a few nice Conch Shells today. The best ones always have a live Conch in them. I didnt take them.

A few pics will come when I get home.

Later