• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Grounding Probes – The Debate

I don't understand something or am conflicted rather. I am not going to argue electrical flow with an engineer. However, if what Paul says is true, and not saying it is or isn't, then A) why do they sell grounding probes(besides to make money, and they could make more selling some other fancy smancy tool) B) why do numerous experts claim the use of grounding probes are critical for protecting not only yourself but your fish. Specifically grounding probes are shown to prevent hole in the head disease in fish such as tangs.

Thanks Mike...I wrote my post same time as you but you were quicker. :undecided:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
James, you ask very intriguing questions. As I stated in the OP, this topic would be like opening a can of worms. Grounding probes do offer a benefit to humans. They protect you from being the ground, and allowing current to pass to the probe instead of passing through you. And in regard to experts, they area dime-a-dozen, and for every expert that says “A,” there is an expert that will say “B.”

Since I also don’t understand much about anything, I’ve done a quick search and I’ve found multiple articles on grounding probes. HERE is but one that talks about there use.

Stealth Heater eletrical cord split at entry to htr.

Stuck my hand into my 75 that is piped together w/ a 180 and 55 sump. The 120 VAC was thru the 3 tanks. Had noticed a lite tingle working around tanks day before. Next morning still in skivvies went down w Tara (canine) to let her out. Noticed coral tipped over and stuck in my hand. No shoes on, concrete floor. Checked why I never felt such an enthusiastic tingle before. Check with my volt meter and found line voltage to Ground. Thinkin about getting an inexpensive meter to leave between ground and some probe. Found htr by pulling plugs and watching meter.Even the salt creep was live with voltage.

Current like water will travel the path of least resistance.
I agree that GFI/CGFI outlets and industrial multiplug powerstrips with a GFI are best for avoiding current leaks and more importantly curcuit overloads that cause fires.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug