• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Guess what I did?

You'll never guess what I did today. A highly unusual event for me.

I did a water change on my reef. Didn't start out that way however. I've been lazy and haven't ran the PVC from my stingray tank into the basement. So today I finally decided to hook it up correctly. Short story version, I dumped about 80 gallons of water from the stingray tank (darn phone call) down into my dining room and kitchen, what didn't make it there ended up in the basement. Expect for the hardwood floor in the office/tank room it's all tile so not that big a deal. 30 minute cleanup job with the shop vac.

So I decided to stop the stingray tank project and finish it another day. :) I pumped water from my reef into the stringray tank to fill it back up and then decided what the heck so I also half emptied my Rhino tank (no corals) and filled that back up with my reef water. Then added 100 gallons of premixed salt water I always keep on hand back into the system.

My first "real" water change. :)

Carlo

Isn't it that the biggest water changes are usually unplanned :p Seems mine have always been done afyer I screwed up something minor and things got out of hand. ;D

Dom

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is it really a water change if it is less than 10%?! LOL!

Hehe, I change 100 gallons and you say it doesn't count. :)

Actually it was just about a 10% water change. I took my 300 gallon outside stock tank offline a few days ago so I'm only at 1000 gallons. I'm going to move the stock tank down into my basement/closet area (some how, some way) this weekend and hook it back up. I'll also add 300 gallons of new saltwater then too. :)

PS don't tell anybody, they might get the wrong idea and think I like water changes. :)
In all honesty I think I'm going to try and start doing 5% weekly water changes and see if I notice any difference. Shouldn't hurt anything but the wallet and should help get rid of any dissolved organics and bring in fresh nutrients.

Carlo

Come on. It's only fair to do the 20% like the rest of us. Let me know when you do 200 gallons. That'll impress me. Seriously though, I wish I had to courage to go without them as you do.