• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gurgling overflow

howze01

NJRC Member
So I got my tank set up, it's all running but the overflow is gurgling. It's a glass holes 700gph. It has a 1 1/2" pipe from it into a 3 section 20 long sump. The return pump is a Sicce Syncra 5. I think it's too strong but I'm hoping once I get the reactor hooked up it will work OK. It's adjustable and I have it turned all the way down if I turn it up one notch it pumps the last chamber empty. So, how do I stop the gurgle? I read about someone putting a bio ball in the opening for the return but that wouldn't fit in the box.

We were thinking of putting a valve on the overflow but I thought that the pump would be too strong then.

So, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Bad idea to put a valve on your return to the sump with any overflow. I know there are people here who have these glass holes that will chime in here.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No valve!

You say 1 1/2 pipe into the sump….is that rigid pvc or flex (flex would be the best because of subtle bends)? Are there 90 elbows – these add the likelihood of more noise….ideally 45’s work better.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
is the end of your pipe under any water? this will make it gurgle in a heartbeat If not, then you are probably pushing too much water

howze01

NJRC Member
The end of the pipe is a couple inches under water. I will have to pull it out and see if that helps.

kevin

NJRC Member
I had that problem. I had to put the return pump on the slowest setting. I have the pvc few inches underwater w/ a filter sock over it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is there a standpipe in the overflow?? I use this, it works like a charm...

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/GEO-SP3.html

This is a Glass-Holes overflow…..a stand pipe will not fit or work in a Glass-holes. If you play with the tube coming out of the elbow, that could help. I think you are actually hearing the air/water cascade down the pipe.

If you can’t figure it out, I’ll sell you one of my becketted skimmers I have, and the noise from that will drown out the noise from the overflow. :grin:

I built my own overflows modeled off the glassholes kits... coming out of the back of the tank I put a T with one end sticking up, then capped the top side and drilled a 5/16" hole or airline sized. ..I think its That. Both of mine are silent. I'm running a mag18 return with 2x 1 3/4" overflows.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is the noise coming from the piping or from the box itself? I've heard that noise inside the box can be quieted using Enkamat and putting it inside the box. You would probably need to replace it or clean it out periodically.

If it's coming from the piping, I'd suggest drilling the highest part of the drain pipe to install an air tube. It only needs to be an inch or so sticking out of the top of the highest part of the pipe. You may need to push it down into the pipe a bit so find the quiet spot before cutting the tube. That will let air escape and eliminate the noise. The bigger diameter you can fit the better.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Make sure the breather tube (sticking out of the street elbow) is down in the drain. I only have about 3/4 to 1" sticking out of the elbow, the rest of the tube is down in the drain.