• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gut Instinct

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I posted else where I have new LED lights but will tell you what happened prior.
I would say a month ago maybe a bit more I was walking through the house and smelled something funny.
After looking I chalked it up to something burning while dinner was cooking. But still every week or so would have this faint weird smell. When I hung my new LEDs and went to move the power cord that smell came back. I looked and saw one of the outlets on the strip was burnt. I replaced the strip; Always go with your gut I should have checked more when I first smelled it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I posted else where I have new LED lights but will tell you what happened prior.
I would say a month ago maybe a bit more I was walking through the house and smelled something funny.
After looking I chalked it up to something burning while dinner was cooking. But still every week or so would have this faint weird smell. When I hung my new LEDs and went to move the power cord that smell came back. I looked and saw one of the outlets on the strip was burnt. I replaced the strip; Always go with your gut I should have checked more when I first smelled it.

Gut instinct doesn't lie. I recall awhile back, while my 54 tank only had water and rocks in it, I had my 36g as my saltwater tank. I had this cheap temp sensor with an alarm for hi/low temps. One night, around 2am, it goes off waking me up. Now this unit has acted up on me before so I checked it quick, water felt ok to me, everything seem good so I disconnected it and went back to bed. The next morning I checked my tank again and all seemed good. I was driving to work and I then recalled the day before my wife saying there was an odd sound coming from my tank (which I checked and heard nothing). Thinking something might be wrong I turned around and when back home. I did a good look at my system and noticed my heater light was yellow. This way odd to me because it always been green or red never yellow. Being in IT I figured the yellow is an error code so I started to google it. I did not find anything about what the yellow light meant but I found links after links after links about that heater being recalled for electrical issues. I took it right out of my tank and put in the one I had on my 54. I then order a new one for me 54.

I had a 29 cube, and my lights were out on it, so I upgraded to the LED hood made for it, got it used at one of the LFS... I smelled something funny at first but it faded a couple weeks later I was headed out for the weekend and stopped home to leave a note for my mother who was taking care of the dogs... Thank god I stopped there was black smoke coming out of the hood, after that I bought a Nest Protect, but now there are no more tanks in my home lol at least my wife had a good reason.

I never complained to the LFS maybe I should have but at least my house and dogs were safe.