• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Guyana Trip

So every time someone sees my tank (non reefers) they ask where the fish came from. Both from my cichlid tank and my reef. I would often tell them about where in from but it's hard to describe without sounding like a discovery channel program. So here is what it's like to hunt and fish the jungles of Guyana. (Btw some of the fish we catch and eat on this journey sell for hundreds of dollars in fish shops lol.)

It starts here at my child hood home. Only accessible by boat on the Demerara river.

6a5c7877bc0ea97f3efc54eb2b29d883.jpg

6fffb1d788f0f8b15513fb81ae422218.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then we survey the land

9acd1ee433af77d79c8c6795272500d3.jpg

3aee73fd5d1b16d1b8f7b3a95ca13222.jpg

My uncle who makes a living on the river starts by catching some bait...

72d8f8a8f13bfeb4dff651ccc2372b32.jpg

b233352a503e50e7992e89e537ab79e1.jpg

My country bears fruit year round different fruit different seasons always tasty and fresh

17d6d05507ccba61270cbd1b8779ea4b.jpg

6436775ab0f7dd447dd704bef6cb9af0.jpg

fc127ee3599e7402e1b88a488cfae3fc.jpg

Seems like it was an amazing adventure. It looks like something got ahold of ur catfish on the way in. Looking out for more pics thanks for sharing

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Very cool! I see a peacock bass there, one of my dreams is to go peacock bass fishing. Hear they fight like crazy. Also that tiger shovelnose catfish is awesome, my brother has one in his big freshwater tank with 2 peacocks.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Great pics and thanks for the insight. As an adult I've travelled the world for 10+ years and yet, somehow, I ended up back here in NJ. Unfortunately I've always been a metro type and have settled in cities or suburbs with few chances to see outside the bustle. My short-sightedness was my loss, but there's always time to make up for it in the future. Saying that, I had the chance to dive off Cuba twenty years back, an amazing experience I still vividly remember...sharks, a small octopus, etc...I wish I was into the hobby at the time. For you to be able to return home and leave the US city life so far behind seems like the ultimate in vacations. Thanks for sharing.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
You've come far and away from where you started, was it worth it? The hustle and bussell and stress of life in NJ

You've come far and away from where you started, was it worth it? The hustle and bussell and stress of life in NJ

Lol someday soon I want to take my 2 boys back home and show them what it was like as a child. I tell you I LOVE camping for this reason because it reminds me of home. Try as I might one could never truely replace life back home. Cellphone signals don't exist and internet is a joke. It's changed a lot since I was little but it dosen't take long before you can set foot in someplace no one else ever has before. I remember treks into the bush that lasted 2/3 Days IN and seeing statues and villages people have only seen on the discovery channel.

The stories the "bush men" tell are amazing as well. They tell of small cities and towns deep in the bush covered by so much vines and foliage that its almost impossible to see from the air or even land. They say that if it was possible to mine or pan the bottom of kaiteur falls that you would be one of the richest men on earth.

My grandfather has gems and precious stones found in the bellies of fish and right in the river in front of the house.