• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GYRE Settings and Help

So I know a few of you on the forum have picked up a GYRE or 8. I myself picked up one at the hiddenreef blowout. Setup was super easy... I am having difficulties on setting up the optimal flow in my tank.

My tank is a peninsula. On one end there is a Coast to Coast overflow that imho despite being better than a corner overflow.....struggled to grab everything that was circulating in the tank.

I also HATED.. running powerheads to the far end of the tank along the rim which definately didn't look that great. It was do-able but not the best looking. The GYRE is like a lifesaver. The ONLY problem I am having now... is deciding exactly where to to place the GYRE. Right now I have it placed on the furthest end of the tank facing the overflow. I think I am defeating the purpose of the GYRE though. Instead of bouncing off the wall and rolling back.. I feel like if the GYRE is actually breaking up and some of the water is escaping over the overflow instead.

I almost think perhaps I should place the GYRE on the overflow side.. and the (rollback will) enable the detrius to go into the overflow. I was also thinking that perhaps I should angle the outflow of the gyre to cut less across the surface and more a sharp angle towards the back.

I FEEL as if this type of powerhead is MEANT to be on the overflow side and not pushing towards the overflow. (Video to Come Soon)

fd3ff410d30eda2f3641ee8207dcf318.jpg

7abc4b89dc6d5796c851f763641a3173.jpg

a8826a7603f2036db8e6c0d7ed8d7682.jpg

f0d9b4eb018f5050f63cec91a3d47a75.jpg

Pics of my setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how it would work if you placed the gyre below the over flow and ran it in reverse mode. Flow would start by going downward to bottom, across bottom then up and come back on top to feed the overflow debris?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I can't see your pics here at work, but dnov has his setup on his pennisula right under his overflow and that works very well. He has it going straight out.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
It was nice to finally meet you at hidden reef. I say try it in the over flow. Thought these videos would help too

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I have 2 on the overflow, one right on top of the other. Top one on constant, bottom one on pulse mode. Flow is perfect and incredible.

Darren I'm going to get one for Christmas. And I can't wait to pull the 3 tunzes I have running na. Going to look sick and work way better. I love the idea of 2 but my wife would kill me. If anyone would like a visiter I'm off he next 2 days and would love to see how you have set it up....

So I tried it on the overflow side and Didn't like it much at all. It basically moved stuff at the front of the tank but I guess because of my rockwork it wasn't doing the best job. I move it back to the penninsula end and played around with moving the cages.. I THINK by angling them down a little bit it is finally creating the GYRE I wanted. I'll keep playing with it.

I kind of want 2 more. One in the front and one at each side of the rock work LOL...

Im grateful for the posts here I'm getting one but cant afford 2 - my tank is 8 feet long so I'm wondering if i should wait for the larger one.... Who are we kidding i cant wait!
just where to by... I think its funny that i put one in a brs cart and left the webpage and they emailed me 2x to buy it on the second email they gave me a 10 dollar off code. I am holding out to see if there will be any sales....

I have mine on an 8ft tank and have it mounted vertically blowing right to left. At first I wasn't too impressed with it but after a couple of weeks I am really seeing the benefit of it. My tank is bare bottom with a closed loop system. The flow in my tank prior to adding the gyre would create 2 piles of detritus which made it easy for me to siphon it out. I have been running the gyre on constant @ 80% power and I have noticed that one of the piles no longer exists and the other pile is slowly going away and its not building up anywhere else in the tank.

I have mine on an 8ft tank and have it mounted vertically blowing right to left. At first I wasn't too impressed with it but after a couple of weeks I am really seeing the benefit of it. My tank is bare bottom with a closed loop system. The flow in my tank prior to adding the gyre would create 2 piles of detritus which made it easy for me to siphon it out. I have been running the gyre on constant @ 80% power and I have noticed that one of the piles no longer exists and the other pile is slowly going away and its not building up anywhere else in the tank.

Spotter.. I too was very un-impressed with the GYRE in my tank initially TBH.. I see it's merits.. (For Bare Bottom Tanks).. anything with sand won't be able to use the fullpower. The Stream IMHO is narrow and wide which is awesome but the GYRE bounce back isn't as pronounced unless its turned up a little bit. What I LOVE is that it is NOT conical in its flow.

Optimally for my tank I belive I need 3 Gyres. 1 in the Front pushing back to the overflow... and 2 on the back corners of my tank in a vertical position in PULSE or continous flow at a low setting.

This would give me Perfect flow around the SPS corals at the Top of the tank and push detrius over my overflow.. and it would also make sure that a wall of water is sliding along the sides of my tank and colliding with the the rocks and SPS cropping out. It would bounce off the front and into the rock work.

Ordered mine today. looking to see how others make out with placement but I'm stoked about what ive seen in vidios so far. My tank is 300 gallons and is 8 feet long. I think the thing that will be different for me is I have my rock only going midway in comparison tot he overall height of the tank. I think this will allow for good movement. Have to wait till Christmas - kids orders!

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I've seen a few in action and am pretty impressed. I really do love my vortechs and run one mp40 on the back and an mp10 on the side of my 93 cube. I think the one that's out right now will be way to much for my tank. I'm planning on waiting for the small version and really want apex integration before I take the leap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't count on apex integration super fast. From history it seems that stuff takes some time. The smaller one I think is nice but on your 93 cube I would go with the bigger one and simply dial it down. This is because if the width of flow as opposed to the smaller size of the one your waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a look at them when Chris was doing a demo at the Hidden Reef the other week. Im suprised noone has rigged up a way to run them with an apex yet. The connector appears to be the same as the ones used on the jebao and it wasn to hard to whip up those harnesses. It should be a matter seeing what voltage the dimming function needs. The apex dimming port puts out 10V DC.