• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

hammer and frogspawn

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
my hammer and frogspawn look sick.they were thriving .doing well some branches on frogspawn and hamer seemed to die off .Is this normal.they get trace elements Salinity 1.025 marineland reef light 2 week water change of 1/3 water temp 79 .tryes moving to different areas??? pics later lights not on yet

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Is this all of a sudden? Or has it been progressively getting worse? How's the flow in your tank? Any fish bothering it? I've had clowns in the past that would try and host them and would slowly kill them off.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What salt are you using?

What are your alk, calc and mag numbers?

How are you dosing the above?

Which Marineland fixture do you ?

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
progressively getting worse these are in 2 seperate tanks both have the marineland with 4 moon lights 27 total Not sure of watts(reef capable) i geuss i got screwed . the frogspawn was pruducing new growth. now not so...(instant ocean salt) Dosing trace elemente -as per directions These calculations ar pretty acurate.spent time to get right amount .it is on a schedule on what element and what day/magnesium,stroneum,cal,iodine. Will post test results tomorrow.LONG DAy>>!q.jpgw.jpg

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
wow thats bad!!
left tank and right tank (2 tanks in same room)
nitrate Left 0 right 0
nitrite Left 0.1 right 0.1
ammonia left.025 right .025
phos Left .025 right.025
calcium left 480 right 460
alk left 28 right11.6
kh Left 214 plus a lot right 143.2
salinity .025 both
ph Left .8.6 right 8.0

Last edited:

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
wow thats bad!!
left tank and right tank (2 tanks in same room)
nitrate Left 0 right 0
nitrite Left 0.1 right 0.1
ammonia left.025 right .025
phos Left .025 right.025
calcium left 480 right 460
alk left 28 right11.6
kh Left 214 plus a lot right 143.2
salinity .025 both
ph Left .8.6 right 8.0

alk 28?!?!?! I would retest that. If it was 28 your calcium would be alot lower than 480.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
that should a been 2.8
left tank addins\\
1 iodine 4 ml 1 a week
4 magnesium 10 ml every other day
2 stronium 3.5 ml every 4 days
3 tech cb a 2 ml each day
3 tech cb b 4 ml each day
right tank addins\\
1 iodine 2 ml 1 a week
4 magnesium 5 ml every other day
2 stronium -2ml 1 a week
3 tech cb a 1 ml each day
3 tech cb b 2 ml each day

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
seems that kents tech a-b can controll calcium and alk need to work on that . need to do weekly water changes same amount 1/3 tank . and found out that frozen foods add to phosphates.thats all i been feeding... so do i still dose other trace elements for coral?

also you should have no ammonia detection...something is not right. Did you disturb the sand bed (if you have one)? are all the fish etc accted for?

my rule of thumb on dosing - if you can't test it, then you shouldn't be dosing it.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
just wc every other week (dosing trace elelents Per schedule)these were told to me that i needed them for a reef tank?
no disturbing the sand bed(2-3 in ) but i have a clarki that likes to fling large amounts of sand.

unless you are full bore sps reef, i don't think you really need the extra trace elements. You should be able to recover any trace elements via wc for probably most reef tanks out there. In particular elements like iodine cannot be tested properly and overdosing can be lethal.

Just be wary of what the manufacturers tell you with regards to "schedule". Remember they make more money the faster you use the stuff. A tank that has 400 SPS corals in it, will uptake trace elements far more quickly than say a tank with 10,000 Kenya trees. if you are doing wc changes that frequently I don't think you need to be dosing anything else except the possibility of alk/calc.

Reef tanks with any reading of ammonia is probably what is throwing your hammer/frogspawn out of whack. The fact that you are showing ammonia is a sign something is off. Definitely test that again (to be sure your test kit is right) and make sure that reads zero. Ammonia will lead to nitrite (also a no no for reef) and eventually lead to nitrate (safe/tolerable, but not desired).

Mind you i have hammer corals a plenty so if you ever need to be restocked - let me know. These are almost "bullet-proof" hammers as they have survived the heat of a nyc subway ride, and the cold lack of power of Hurricane Sandy...

i should rename name to Limited Edition Disaster Proof Hammers....

These are almost "bullet-proof" hammers as they have survived the heat of a nyc subway ride, and the cold lack of power of Hurricane Sandy...

i should rename name to Limited Edition Disaster Proof Hammers....[/QUOTE]

1+

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ok so today i did a wc tomorrow i will retest .Upon a few of you saying all i need is (kent tech c b) no other trace elements? this will be good for all the corals . What about some inverts that state trace elements Will i be ok . Since 2 days i have just been dosing tech c b ....

ok so today i did a wc tomorrow i will retest .Upon a few of you saying all i need is (kent tech c b) no other trace elements? this will be good for all the corals . What about some inverts that state trace elements Will i be ok . Since 2 days i have just been dosing tech c b ....

what inverts do you have?

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
thanks . i just tested and i had high kh
ph 8.4 alk 2.0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 amonia 0 cal 460 phos 0.5 . need to find out how to lower kh