• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

hammer and frogspawn

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
thanks . i just tested and i had high kh
ph 8.4 alk 2.0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 amonia 0 cal 460 phos 0.5 . need to find out how to lower kh

I'm confused.....you say high kh but report an alk number of 2.0???? I'm not sure what units you're reporting, but I'd actually guess it is meq/i, which translates to approximately 5.5 dKH. That's not high....that's LOW!

What am I missing?

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
kh ( red sea ) was 17 german degrees = 304.3 ppm ( 17 drops to change vial blue to yellow) pic of alk testaq.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for clarifying….but I still have a problem. dKH is alkalinity, just like your milliequivalent per liter you are reporting with the Red Sea test kit. The two obviously don’t agree. Below is a conversion table that converts dKH to ppm to Meq/l.

Alkalinity-Conversion_zps735a61d0.jpg

One of your test kits is giving you bogus numbers.

Where are you located….if close, I can come over and test with my kit.

I hate those alk tests...the only one i like is my lamotte one...it's expensive as heck but once i dialed it in, i haven't had to test in a while.

If you are doing biweekly wc and dosing 2 part - there is no way your ALk should be low. It's very puzzling.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi downbeach,

I am in Moorestown. Would tonight or tomorrow be better?

Chris

also another thought would be to bring a sample to the LFS and see if they will do you a favor and test the alk. Are you going to teh July meeting? maybe we could have someone bring their test kit there...i'm not sure if I can make it or not or I'd offer you my lamotte kit.