• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hana VS API

So from peeps experience what do you think?

I bought a Hana Clac checker nice digital one. I really have not been using it cause I find the old school API test kit to be pretty easy. Well on my API Test kit it shows about 450-460, not bad maybe high for some but not bad. This morning I check it with the fancy one and it shows 380, hhmm..

Who to believe? Should I believe the Hana and raise my Calc?

I don't like either one. Generally Hanna's are good devices, but there's been a lot of posts about the Ca checker being problematic. I would recommend either, Salifert or the new Red Sea Pro kits.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I do not like Hanna at all. I use Salifert.

Last edited:

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hanna - PO4 and Alk Checkers are great, Cal not soo much.
Red Sea Pro & Salifert - Mag, Cal, Alk are awesome

I used salifert at first and thought it was fine, after I used up reagents I got the Red Sea kit for the reason that I Gould buy the titration reagent refills instead of buying a whole new kit. Both work on the same principal of titrating to color change, the Red Sea kit makes it a little more spill proof and easier to swirl your reagents. End point both are fine.

Well hopefully today I'll be able to buy 1 of kits and I'll let you guys know what readings I get
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Last time I was at trop they had all the salifert test kits on sale

Well I drove by ocean gallery and picked up a Red Sea kit with calc mag & kh. Looks like API is closer to the Red Sea. My last test came up with 460 and the Red Sea said 500. I will say the API is so easy compared to everything else...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Well I drove by ocean gallery and picked up a Red Sea kit with calc mag & kh. Looks like API is closer to the Red Sea. My last test came up with 460 and the Red Sea said 500. I will say the API is so easy compared to everything else...

really? I hated counting drops and the RedSea kit is so much easier with the titration handle IMO

really? I hated counting drops and the RedSea kit is so much easier with the titration handle IMO

The handle thing is nice. But even with the Red Sea you are kind of counting drops, well not really I guess but it is a similar concept. Not sure if it was because it was the first time but it was more complicated then the API kit. Lol one more step.. Either way they both seem close. Next time I test I will use both the same day and see what they say.