• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawaii import update

I got into a conversation with the fish guy at my local petco (brick N.J.). The guy is very knowledgeable and has a good reputation

We discussed the Hawaii situation. He has a very different observation. He says it’s only the individual divers that are effected. That the big commercial suppliers are fine. He went on to share he has no shortage of Hawaii stock, had some 8 such fish- all at same pricing before the freeze. And he said any rec guy permits are good through there expiration date up to a year from now.

At the same time at ACC yesterday it seemed the sky was falling all Hawaii fish were priced higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I got into a conversation with the fish guy at my local petco (brick N.J.). The guy is very knowledgeable and has a good reputation

We discussed the Hawaii situation. He has a very different observation. He says it’s only the individual divers that are effected. That the big commercial suppliers are fine. He went on to share he has no shortage of Hawaii stock, had some 8 such fish- all at same pricing before the freeze. And he said any rec guy permits are good through there expiration date up to a year from now.

At the same time at ACC yesterday it seemed the sky was falling all Hawaii fish were priced higher.

I had that same conversation with Andrew at that store.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

I've heard about the "saltwater guy" at the petco in Brick. every time I'm there though, he isn't working. out of all the petcos I've been to, the brick location is the best !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not trying to questions anyone, but from what I have been reading, ALL existing state-issued commercial collectors’ permits are now illegal and invalid. The stock right now is probably what is left over at the distributors.

From a discussion thread on R2R

“My understanding is that commercial collecting permits for nets with openings smaller than 2" stretch are banned for commercial use, pending a study by Department of Land and Natural Resources, but that study may be a long time coming, as DLNR is reported to be underfunded, with aquarium fish being a low priority. PIJAC is collecting money, from what I'm given to understand, in preparation for some sort of legal wrangling.

Recreational permits (presumed to mean go out and catch fish for your own tank) are reportedly unaffected.”