• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawaiian Strawberry Crab?

Dr. mac had them in at one point also.

That stated I don't trust any crabs in my tank except porcelain crabs.

Seem to be finding mixed reviews online. Everything from they are the second coming of hitler to them being perfect little puppy dogs.

But, I have heard horror stories about emerald crabs as well, and I keep them successfully in my 90 gallon mixed reef. Rarely see them, but they don't bother anything.

Hard to tell. Gotta take everything you read online with a grain of salt, that's why I usually look to this site for personal experience.

If I take the plunge on him (or rather, let her) then I will keep you posted.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have one in our 20g tank and never ever ever see it. In fact, we just reaquascaped a few days ago and was shocked when he popped out. This is our second one we have had, the first one we saw relatively frequently (every day) and for some reason this guy does not come out. The species is know to be pretty reclusive, but you new know what you are going to get.

I had one in my old tank. Put it in and never seen it again. Then one night i was lookin wit the flashlight and found his hole in the bottom of a rock he was staying in. He lived till i broke down the tank. Never noticed him damaging anything the whole time i had him. Only downside is that you prob will almost never see them

The Fish Tank in Saddle Brook had a few of them in, pretty neat looking and decently priced. If you were to get one check them out.

The owner Sharon is very nice and seems to love fish. Whenever I needed something I went there.

I got a torch from them for $45 and now it is the size of a softball!

They also had pom pom crabs, which looked cool last time I was there.

If you travel up this way let me know maybe you can stop by and see the chaos I've created :0).

Brando457 said:
The Fish Tank in Saddle Brook had a few of them in, pretty neat looking and decently priced. If you were to get one check them out.

The owner Sharon is very nice and seems to love fish. Whenever I needed something I went there.

I got a torch from them for $45 and now it is the size of a softball!

They also had pom pom crabs, which looked cool last time I was there.

If you travel up this way let me know maybe you can stop by and see the chaos I've created :0).

Thanks Brando, just googled that fish store. 2 hrs 35 mins. OUCH! LOL! Living down here has its pluses, but it certainly has its minuses.

If I do make it up that far, I'll be sure to let you know ahead of time!

Speaking of crabs, how are emerald crabs in a tank with corals, a few snails,cleaner shrimp, and a hermit.

I kind of like the look of them and would like to get a small one.

Brando457 said:
Speaking of crabs, how are emerald crabs in a tank with corals, a few snails,cleaner shrimp, and a hermit.

I've always had emerald craps, never had them attack anything at all. BUT, they are primarily nocturnal and hiders. You will barely see them, if at all.

Sometimes just when I think one of my emeralds "went the way of the reef", I'll move a rock and it will come scampering out, or suddenly throw its claws up as if to see "WTF! I was sleeping in there".

mfisher2112 said:
Brando457 said:

I've always had emerald craps, never had them attack anything at all. BUT, they are primarily nocturnal and hiders. You will barely see them, if at all.

Sometimes just when I think one of my emeralds "went the way of the reef", I'll move a rock and it will come scampering out, or suddenly throw its claws up as if to see "WTF! I was sleeping in there".

I always found it fun to play the game of hunt for the emerald crab! I could find them if I looked really hard.

I have one now in my 90 that has take to a specific rock. The rock is kind of "dome" shaped, and he found a hole on the bottom flat side that he crawed up into. Would have never seen him if I hadn't lifted the rocks and saw him throw out his claws like a prize fighter! LOL! (I put the rock back, needless to say...)

I got one about a year ago at Fish Tank in Saddle Brook. He only comes out when the lights are off ... very cute. Hasn't killed anyone that I know of. The Emerald Crabs however - never again, ate all 3 of my Banggai cardinal. :(

i have emeralds and strawberry crabs and I second what nick said.... you gotta sneak up on the tank with a flash light to ever see the strawberrys..