• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawkeye's Fused Jaw Tank

Seahorses have fused jaws. They have no teeth. Fused Jaw = english translation of the family name Syngnathidae.

Some of you may ask why I didn't start this thread earlier. Well I honestly was fearful that this challenge would not be something I could overcome. So I wanted to wait until I had kept the sea horses for at least 3 months before posting anything.

Why seahorses? Well to be honest I was looking to do something with my bc29. I continue to run a 120 display but no longer breed clowns. So of course I had this old bc29 laying around...

Inspired by jim roth's foray into raising Seahorses, and also thanks to the huge body of knowledge panmanmatt has, I thought i would give it a try.

First off- people have asked me since I run a 120, why I didn't plumb my seahorse tank with that. Another question is why the seahorses aren't in the main display with my other fish/corals.

To answer that, I learned that seahorses require more temperate temps, this provides the best environment for them. Second of all I learned that they eat very slowly, and would not have any food left if I tried placing them in the main display.

Equipment:
BC29, no cover. The tank is light by a normal 10 gallon light you might find at any LFS.
Steve-T In-tank for bc29 / chemipure and purigen and some mechanical filter
Tunze 9002 nano skimmer (roger customized this so that the magnet was removed, when the original purchase fell thru i was able to get a pretty good deal on this)
Return pump
Tunze Osmolator for auto-top off
5 gallon rodi top off tank
Koralia nano for additional flow (mechanical filter covers the grate to protect the seahorses)

Livestock:
2 seahorses courtesy of Aquatic Obsessions. Purchased around June 2012. It was right after Father's day
13 nassarius snails (almost all courtesy of Dr. Mac)

I started the entire process back in January 2012. I sent several email inquiries, first to Ocean Rider in Hawaii and then later to seahorsesource in Florida.

Ocean Rider has a self-paced program to educate newbies in the keeping of seahorses. Thru this program, I was able to be set up with Pete Giwojna of Ocean Rider who sent tutorials every week or two for me to digest and understand. I think the program is noble and tries to guide those who may want a cute seahorse without full knowledge of their requirements. He accelerated the program for me as I explained I already kept a 120 and had bred clownfish in the past.

The program was:
1a Selecting & Equipping a suitable tank
1b Decorating & Aquascaping the tank
2 Cycling and cleanup crew
3 Recommended Reading
4 Water Chemistry and Maintenance
5 Feeding
6 Compatible Tankmates
7 Courtship and Breeding
8 Raising babies
9 Disease Prevention and Control
10a H. Erectus Fact Sheet
10b Acclimation instructions

My certification below (can't read it but underneath was a blurb with my name date etc, which i cropped out):

Picture1.jpg

Ocean Rider had some amazing looking specimens but the cost is high and I was a little concerned about the long trip from Hawaii to the east coast. In addition, many people had strongly suggested seahorsesource.com in FL. I reached out to Abbie around March of 2012 and was told that due to a family illness and low inventory they could not supply the product I wanted. So then my thoughts were back to OR...except again the summer heat was making me think not a good idea.

Long story short one day after lunch we walked into Aquatic Obsessions and I was surprised to see two seahorses in stock. Wil of course fed them for me to see and they were eating like pigs (well, seahorses aren't the fastest fish, so maybe like slow, high tea time gentlemanly fast eating). The fact that the horses had been at Aq Ob for several weeks already sealed the deal for me.

I know some people will be disappointed in my next decision - but I felt that I had my hands full with the 120 display, and I wanted to focus solely on the health of the seahorses, and not any other item in the tank. So my decision was to keep the seahorses in a FO set up. No liverock, no photosynthetic corals. Just some fake corals for them to hitch and black sand.

Anyways - pics to follow.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sounds like a great start. Good luck going forward. Can't wait to see some pictures.

here are a few...

This was the day they were added to the tank. I did not QT them as there was nothing else in the tank. For whatever reason my daughters have named them French and Fry. They said the body reminded them of a krinkle french fry...

078-2.jpg

098-1.jpg

That's awesome.. How much was the program and were can I get more Info on it?

FREE...that's the great thing about it. obviously they hope you buy one of their horses, but there is no obligation.

You have to join their forum group - after that there is a sticky and you just post in that thread you are interested in the program. Pete will then start you on your program. It's self paced so then when you have finished reading the material, you email him for the next set.

malulu

NJRC Member
I would like to try seahorse, but don't have another area to sit a smaller tank... and it will also look great in the same tank/area.

- is it POSSIBLE to isolate a corner of a 210g tank to host seahorse(s)?

- how to keep it cool? i know the temperature could be a concern ~ 72F, is there any trick to make that small area of water cooler than the average temperature of the whole tank?

- next problem is how to isolated it so it use the same tank water and not swimming out of that area ( small holes with acrylic container? )

thx

I would like to try seahorse, but don't have another area to sit a smaller tank... and it will also look great in the same tank/area.

- is it POSSIBLE to isolate a corner of a 210g tank to host seahorse(s)?

- how to keep it cool? i know the temperature could be a concern ~ 72F, is there any trick to make that small area of water cooler than the average temperature of the whole tank?

- next problem is how to isolated it so it use the same tank water and not swimming out of that area ( small holes with acrylic container? )

thx

Unfortunately the issue is not just the temperature, but also the risk of disease.

Fish in our tanks are primarily wild-caught with a few exceptions. Wild caught fish will have tolerance/immunity to a large variety of disease.

Seahorses that are captive bred have no such built-in immunity and will succumb rapidly. I've read that sea horse keepers even go so far as to limit one species of seahorse in their tank unless they know for sure the other set was captive raised from the same breeder etc.

Panmanmatt could probably chime in more.

krista - so do yours....thanks for chiming in. I look forward to watching yours grow up. I wish I was further south or you were further north, because then i'd definitely be asking to group buy on some pods!!!!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Very Nice Phil. keep us updated.

I have been wanting to set one up for a couple of years just to concerned about temp in the room it would be in.
Also, I have a 20g tall that would be nice for a pair. Not sure how to section it off so the horses don't get sucked into any pumps.

I can't offer any advice on the 20 - but I was told 29 was the minimum size for a pair. Right now I'm ok because mine are super small but as they age I will have to move them to something bigger. I would be glad to have that problem though because it will mean I was successful in raising them.

Height is necessary if the two are going to do the morning greeting/mating. If you get two of the same gender, it's less of a need. At least that is how I understand it. Matt is the one to talk to. Maybe Krista can chime in too.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The dwarf seahorses we had did that quite often. Sometimes 3 at a time. Not sure why they hold tails but fun to see.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can't offer any advice on the 20 - but I was told 29 was the minimum size for a pair. Right now I'm ok because mine are super small but as they age I will have to move them to something bigger. I would be glad to have that problem though because it will mean I was successful in raising them.

Height is necessary if the two are going to do the morning greeting/mating. If you get two of the same gender, it's less of a need. At least that is how I understand it. Matt is the one to talk to. Maybe Krista can chime in too.

It depends on the type of seahorses. H. breviceps can be kept as a pair in a 20 gallon. Most of the more common seahorses should be kept as pair in a 29 gallon or larger.

Height is very important for breeding seahorses. The seahorses will do their "courting dance" throughout the water column. If the height is not available, they will be less inclined to do this.

It depends on the type of seahorses. H. breviceps can be kept as a pair in a 20 gallon. Most of the more common seahorses should be kept as pair in a 29 gallon or larger.

Height is very important for breeding seahorses. The seahorses will do their "courting dance" throughout the water column. If the height is not available, they will be less inclined to do this.

Mine will not do the courting dance as I believe I have two females.