• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

heater on top of pvc

I can't imagine any issue. My heaters have been laying in the bottom of my Rubbermaid stock tank for long time and I haven't run into an issue............that I know of that is.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't see an issue. I have two 300w heaters mounted back to back on an acrylic baffle using PVC conduit clamps. Here's a shoot of that baffle with clamps....while I was building the sump.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't see an issue with it either. The heaters shouldn't be getting any hotter than 75-80 degrees which is well below the max temp of PVC... so even direct contact at extended periods of time shouldn't be a problem at all.

By the way, that's a great idea Paul! Mounting a heater between baffles in the sump is a good way to make sure the majority of your water will come in contact with it. Plus, it's sort of out of the way and gives you more room in other chambers for skimmers and return pumps, etc. Gonna take a look at mine one day and see if I can work that in there.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As I'm pouring water into my Brute I see a 200 watt heater that sits up against the side/bottom of this polyethylene can.....and no problem with melting there....And the polyethylene most likely has a lower melt temperature.