• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Heaters

Taking a poll. What do you feel is the safest, most reliable heater. It's been a year and I should probably replace the cheapie that I've been using.

Eheim Jager
Never had a problem. Very reliable. Very accurate. Only brand I use.
I should have mentioned that the heater has to go in the tank. I don't have any room in my sump. Not sure glass is safe? I remember an owner of a LFS in Manalapan was killed by a broken glass heater years ago.

I actually have two of the fluval E series and I am not 100% happy with them. The LCd screen was nice at first to see the temperature but now i just cant stop staring at the two bright green glows in the tank. A couple times too, one heater would say 70 and the other would be at 78 so im not sure what the deal is there. the water temperature isgood but i cant speak for a variance. I will probably be going with either the hydor inline heater or the eheims. the inlines are much more efficient than regualr stick heaters but Im just always worried about the leak.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use JBJ heaters on my tanks. Work great so far, just over a year on both tanks. Got a new 500W for the 120 and they now come with suction cups instead of the magnets. The magnets were one of the reasons I got the heaters in the first place.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
tagging along I need new heaters too. Those Cobalt heaters look nice to bad they didn't sell them for big tanks.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
tagging along I need new heaters too. Those Cobalt heaters look nice to bad they didn't sell them for big tanks.

Big tanks = no good heaters. I have been asking how the big systems do it and never get answers. I saw an inline heater mentioned on tanked once, but could never find any such thing.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I asked the Zen Masters in Reefing on Facebook. Lets see what they all have to say. So far its titanium heaters with a Ranco Controller[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]. I have never heard of a Ranco Controller anyone here use one? [/FONT]​

Big tanks = no good heaters. I have been asking how the big systems do it and never get answers. I saw an inline heater mentioned on tanked once, but could never find any such thing.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

The only inlines Ive heard of are the Hydor Eth.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/9/list/3

Anyway you look at it I can only see an inline heater working for a larger tank. They are going to be much more efficient than a stick heater just because of the water passing over them.

I should have mentioned that the heater has to go in the tank. I don't have any room in my sump. Not sure glass is safe? I remember an owner of a LFS in Manalapan was killed by a broken glass heater years ago.

Just to bring up the jäger again, if you have 1"between baffles they will fit nicely right between them since they are quite thin.

Just to bring up the jäger again, if you have 1"between baffles they will fit nicely right between them since they are quite thin.
I will probably go with the jager. Unless I can find a titanium heater with the same reliability as the jager. I am currently using an Aqueon Pro. I just want to replace it before it fails. From what I hear that is very common.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I will probably go with the jager.

Good choice!

Now my two cents. If you have a working heater, I would advise that you spend your money on buying a controller. Regardless of the brand of heater you have, they will fail. And the failure you need to protect your tank from is the heater getting stuck on. A controller will keep that stuck-on heater from cooking your tank.

Oh, and still buy the Jager as a back-up when that Aqueon Pro craps out. :grin: