• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help - Brown Algae???

I'm hoping someone could help me. I don't know what this brown stuff that's growing on my powerheads and I'm seeing signs of it on rocks. Is this an algae, bacteria, fungus or something? How do I get rid of it? I'm currently doing lights out for 3 days - this is the 2nd day. I've seen some improvement but it's still massive. Also, I did measure my params and they are all good: Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 0, Phosphates = 0, Calcium = 400, Alk = 9. I have a 40 gallon breeder, T5 lighting, chaeto, GFO/Carbon reactor. It maybe that my params are good because these are eating all the nutrients from the water. Thanks.

DSC_6743.jpg

DSC_6745.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My guess is red turf algae. Not sure what the green strands are. They look like some sort of caulerpa. Did you have that in your tank/fuge?

Here's an article on the Red Turf Algae

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I remember when I first started this hobby reading about "Turf algae filters" is that the same kinda algae used for them?

Thanks. I think I'll try to get some turbo snails this weekend and see what happens.

The green strands I believe are chaeto coming from my refuge.

Thanks again.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The turf scrubbers refer to a hair/turf algae that grows somewhat naturally when you setup the right environment (running water over well lit screen). This red "turf algae" pictured is a specific strain of algae, not likely to appear without being introduced. In all the HA I've had, it has never been the red turf algae.

I don't know whether or not that specific algae would grow in the turf scrubber setup.